Money for Education

Iyauna Brown, Staff Writer

Would you believe me if I said some schools give their students money just for attending school? Believe it or not, some areas, such as cities in Ohio, Sweden, France, Iceland, Norway, Finland, Slovenia, and the Czech Republic, do. Dohn High School, located in Ohio, pay their seniors up to $25 per week, while lower grade levels receive $10 per week. Now, don’t get any ideas and transfer to one of these area’s school districts, because some don’t just hand out money without special requirements that you have to meet. The different requirements may vary, but most of the schools expect you to be on time, on your best behavior, and at school everyday.

We, as teachers, try and say your grade is money, but for a lot of students it doesn’t really register unless it’s actually happening.”

— Mr. Skirball

Even though this idea of giving money to students is an attempt to motivate students to earn a higher education, what can the school systems do to ensure that their students are worthy of the payment given?

Latrell Smith, a senior at Granite City High School, said, “Some kids WILL show up just to get paid. Put a criteria on it, where kids have to put in full effort or they’ll get paid less money.” Students should not get paid for laziness or “just showing up,” because there are students who work their butt off to get where they want to be. Those are the ones who should be rewarded.

Some students believe the money being remunerated could be used to better the school systems. Dakota McCabe, a sophomore at GCHS, gave some ideas as to what this money could be used for. “Funds could be used for other things, like better food, school and gym equipment, or paying janitors more,” said McCabe.

Plenty of students complain about the poor quality of the food, and instead of paying students for coming to school, they could upgrade their food quality. Money is not going to make the students better, especially if their hearts aren’t into bettering themselves. Many teachers would love to see their students excel in life, but some get tired of pushing their students. Students have to want it for themselves.

Even without getting paid to go to school, maintaining good grades can earn you college scholarships and much more. Mr. Skirball, a Granite City High School teacher, said, “We, as teachers, try and say your grade is money, but for a lot of students it doesn’t really register unless it’s actually happening.”

Yes, school work can get hard and stressful but as long as you’re trying your best, your efforts will never go unnoticed. Money runs out after you spend it all, but that masters degree hanging on your wall will last longer than anything money can buy. Education is key. If you don’t want to earn it for yourself, earn it for those who see you as a role model. Be that person that they can say “I’m going to be just like them when I grow up.”

Get your education, it’ll open doors you thought impossible to open. Push yourself to be the best you can be with or without money. Think about it. The higher your education level, the more experienced you are, which leads you to good paying jobs. Education is money.

• Money for Education

Feature

A Day in the Life: StuCo President Derek LeMaster

• Money for Education

Feature

Warrior of the Week – Megan Busse

• Money for Education

Feature

Mr. Warrior

• Money for Education

Feature

There’s No Place Like Home

• Money for Education

Feature

After School Podcast Episode 5

• Money for Education

Feature

Student Vlog – Viktoria Johnson

• Money for Education

Feature

The GCHS Dating Game!

• Money for Education

Feature

3 Little Birds Play Volleyball

• Money for Education

Feature

Hanging out with Hagnauer

• Money for Education

Feature

Coffee with the Candidate

Money for Education