Awards for the Arts

Alex Gray, Anthony Guzman, and Stephanie Mullen

Mr. Roberds, the praised and exalted director of the Granite City High School band program, accompanied by Mr. Stratton and Mrs. Pennell appeared this last saturday to receive awards for their dedication to the liberal arts.

“felt special because he knew just how hard his Dad has worked for the arts and especially the band program, knowing all of the personal time and effort he has put into it ,shows with how successful it has become.” ”

— Sam Roberds

Everyone who is anyone attended this event in their sunday best. The main floor was packed to its entirety as the audience awaited the recipients’ arrival with anticipation. Mr. Roberds, after preparing his grand ensemble for their performance, made his presence stageside, greeting attendees with great delight and utmost dignity. Minutes later, an introduction had sparked, the star spangled banner was sung and the event was officially underway.

After a short jazz performance by four Granite City Alumni, Mr. Manoogian gave a humble speech defining what it takes to be a leader; traits that the three recipients have. He masterfully spoke of the prerequisites of leadership roles and performances of any class. Reaching out to mayor Hagnauer, Mr. Manoogian left off on a sweet note by praising the three established individuals for their accolades in their careers.

Passing the mic on to Mr. Palmer, Palmer spoke of all the great achievements and amazing works Mr. Roberds accomplished in his career, with only a few jokes here and there. As the lights dimmed and the curtains split, a widescreen video played displaying all of his hardships and triumphs he endured whilst becoming the highly esteemed director he is now. The presentation went through his entire personal life and musical track record, showing truly how determined and driven for success Mr. Roberds really is. Many men and women then took to the stage solidifying Roberds’ position as the definition of inspirational and the epitome of wise leadership.

Finally, after a short performance by the Granite City High School Wind Ensemble, Roberds took to the stage. Mr. Roberds gave a courteous, tear-jerking speech thanking all of those who came before him and who made him the director and man that he has become. In the end he thanked the band over anyone else. After the rousing speech that our director presented, his son Sam Roberds , a GCHS junior, placed a medal around Roberds’ neck, his son Sam said he “felt special because he knew just how hard his Dad has worked for the arts and especially the band program, knowing all of the personal time and effort he has put into it ,shows with how successful it has become.” Roaring applause directed Mr Roberds off stage with the warm feeling of what it truly means to be a Granite City 2017 liberal arts inductee.

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Hall Cops

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

• Awards for the Arts

Feature

2017 IPA Illinois State Powerlifting Meet

Awards for the Arts