10 Horror Movies for a Terrifying Halloween

Thomas Moslander, Staff Writer

Halloween is just around the corner. The leaves are changing color, the stores are stocked with candy and costumes, and screams are in the air. And with it getting cooler out it’s a nice time to snuggle in with a nice scary movie. Here are ten of the greatest horror movies to date.

If you’re looking for a scare this Halloween, you should definitely try these movies.”

— Thomas Moslander

The Exorcist: When a young girl is possessed by a demon, the family hires two priests to rid the family of the demon…while at the same time confronting their own.

Based on the novel by William Peter Blatty, The Exorcist has become an iconic horror movie due to its great story, which is based on true events.

The Shining: After the Torrance family moves into the Overlook Hotel, chaos ensues as the man of the family falls deeper and deeper into madness.

Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is a staple in the horror movie genre. The Shining was the third novel that legendary horror writer Stephen King had published. Kubrick adapted the book to film and in 1980, The Shining was released. This movie is particularly interesting because of all the speculation around it. There’s even a documentary (Room 237) about the different theories surrounding the movie. Stephen King, the original writer of the book, hates the movie calling it “misogynistic.” But many people like it such as Reese Knight. “The suspense built up so much that it scared me,” said the freshman. This movie will forever be immortalized for many reasons, good or bad.

Beetlejuice: After Barbara and Adam die in a car crash, they struggle with coping, and ridding their house of the newly living tenants. To help their predicament they hire the Bio-Exorcist Beetlejuice to help them.

One of Tim Burton’s earlier films, Beetlejuice became a huge success and even led to an animated television show. While more of a comedy than a horror film, the movie’s dark atmosphere makes it stand out. “I thought it was funny how he scared the hell out of everyone,” said senior Norman Patenaude. If you enjoy the darker side of comedy this movie is for you. It also stars Winona Ryder and Michael Keaton.

A Nightmare On Elm Street: After teenagers start dying in their dreams, it is up to Nancy to figure out what’s going on to save her friends and herself.

Written and directed by Wes Craven, A Nightmare On Elm Street became legendary for its story and introducing arguably the greatest horror villain of all time, Freddy Krueger. This movie inspired multiple sequels and even the spinoff series Freddy vs. Jason. This film was also the cinematic debut of the now widely known actor Johnny Depp. This movie is so terrifying it will haunt your dreams.

Poltergeist: After ghosts start haunting their family the Freely’s hire an exorcist to help rid their house, and save their daughter.

Steven Spielberg’s iconic ghost movie is truly a frightening movie and inspired the 2015 remake. If you love ghosts then check this one out.

Evil Dead: When four college kids unknowingly release Candarian Demons in a deserted cabin, they must fight the monsters or join them as the Evil Dead.

This gory and somewhat goofy movie became a personal favorite on this list due to its use of practical effects, original story line, and Bruce Campbell. The movie became a cult classic, spawning two sequels, a remake coming this Halloween, and a television show on Starz called Ash vs. The Evil Dead starring none other than the original Ash, Bruce Campbell. This movie is one you should definitely check out if you enjoy gore and dark forests.

Scream: After a string of murders, a group of friends have to find out who the creepy killer is  before they become the next victim.

The master of horror Wes Craven did it again with this terrifying murder mystery. “It really shows the dynamic of a killer and how far a killer will go for revenge,” said senior Sydney Miller-Wright. In this movie anyone can be a killer, even your friends.

Night Of The Living Dead: A group of people take shelter when the dead rise and start to eat the living.

Night Of The Living Dead was made in 1968 by well known horror movie writer and director George A. Romero, and was in many ways a pioneer for today’s zombie culture. While this wasn’t the first zombie movie, it inspired other popular zombie movies like Shaun Of The Dead, and shows like The Walking Dead. “This movie is great because it brought about the whole idea that people can come back to life and essentially be cannibals. The government even has plans in place to fight zombies if they ever became reality and it’s all because of a movie,” said Mr. Hutchings, the head of the English department. This movie is a fun movie to watch, and brings up many themes previously not talked about in its time and like the living dead, it will never die.

The Silence Of The Lambs: After a senator’s daughter is kidnapped by the mysterious serial killer Buffalo Bill, the F.B.I. enlists the help of the infamous psychopathic psychologist, Hannibal “The Cannibal” Lecter.

Silence of the Lambs is a psychological thriller that won 5 academy awards in in 1992 including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Actress. With Anthony Hopkins’s disturbing portrayal of the psychopathic murderer Hannibal “The Cannibal” Lecter and Jodie Foster’s wonderful portrayal of the F.B.I. agent Clarice Starling, this movie became the one of the scariest movies ever made. This movie gained such notoriety, not because of some horror monster like Freddy Krueger or extreme gore (even though it is gory), but because of the possibility that what happens to these unsuspecting victims, can happen to anyone. A seemingly nice man can be a terrible monster on the inside.

Friday The 13th: After the children’s summer camp, Camp Crystal Lake reopens, the camp is stalked by a dangerous murderer.

Friday the 13th is a legendary horror movie that became the beginning of a seemingly never ending franchise due to the introduction of the undead murder machine Jason Voorhees. This movie has spawned sequels, remakes, and gave Freddy vs. Jason its other half. Its antagonist even appears in the newest Mortal Kombat game and the comic book series Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash, all characters previously mentioned on this list. This movie is truly an iconic slasher film and the series that will probably never end…no matter how bad we want it to…
If you’re looking for a scare this Halloween, you should definitely try these movies. They have stuff that will float anyone’s boat like demons, preachers, monsters and serial killers. So grab a friend (or dog, we don’t judge), warm up some popcorn, and enjoy. Just make sure you have a nightlight after you finish.

• 10 Horror Movies for a Terrifying Halloween

Feature

Hall Cops

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

Feature

Senior Sendoff

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

Feature

2017 IPA Illinois State Powerlifting Meet