Election or Popularity Contest?

Julia Zamacona and Brooke Desper

Why is it important for students at GCHS to vote for the student body president? Do students vote for the right reasons? Do they vote for the best candidate they think can actually make changes, or is the election just a popularity contest? They will have more power than any other student here. If anything is needed to be changed, they will have the power as our leader to fix it.

Juniors Claire Ames, Derek Lemaster, Andrew Ropac, Jake Roustio, and Mona Zubi are all running against each other to be our 2016-2017 student body president. Junior Kennedi Coakley, and sophomores Jack Blomme and Payton Tilson are running for vice president.

I think that there should be an election. However, the election shouldn’t be based on popularity. People should vote on the candidate they think will do most for GCHS.”

— Reed Hawkins

Senior Alec DeYong said, “I think that having elections for things like student body president can be a double edged sword. The students should have the opportunity to choose who they want to represent them, but on the other hand, a lot of times it does devolve into a sort of popularity contest. People who don’t really know anything or anyone about who they’re voting for other than their name and that they’re popular. It really just depends on whether or not you trust your fellow students to choose the best candidate to get things done that need to be done and to choose someone based on their leadership qualities, not their number of Twitter followers.”

Junior Reed Hawkins said, “I think that there should be an election. However, the election shouldn’t be based on popularity. People should vote on the candidate they think will do most for GCHS.”

Senior Phebe Bolt said, “We should have elections because that’s just a part of the high school experience. The people that run for the spot can also learn a lot from that experience.”

Sophomore Seth McDowell said, “No I don’t think it’s important to vote. It’s basically all just for a title.”

There are more candidates this year running than last year, but are they really just running for the title? Becoming our student body president means being a leader to us, at GCHS. People who vote for the most popular shouldn’t vote for them because they’re the cutest girl or guy in school. They should vote for who someone who deserves it. Someone who is involved in many great things GCHS has here. Someone who can actually make a difference or a great change. Someone who can be a good role model. There are so many other qualities a great school body president has. That’s why it’s important to vote, Warriors.