Books and Bills

Tori Mitchell, Staff Writer

How many of you play a sport, play in the band, park your car at the school, buy books, or participate in a club? Well if you do, guess what you’ll have to pay…a fee. There is nothing more irritating than going to school and wanting to be involved but having to pull out your wallet and hand over cash every time. Over the years the fees at Granite City High School have raised tremendously. Senior lot parking fees and any sports fees including band are now $75. Books are now $50 and you even have to pay to join bigger clubs. It seems like every time you turn around, there is another fee that needs to be paid.

There is nothing more irritating than going to school and wanting to be involved but having to pull out your wallet and hand over cash every time.”

— Tori Mitchell

The sports fee is something new in the 2014-2015 school year. The down payment to even play the sport or in the band is $75, not to mention all the other money you’re dishing out for equipment, camps, trips, gear, etc. Yes, the sports and band do fundraising and other things to raise money, but after a few years your teachers and neighbors grow tired of buying cookies and other useless, expensive things to help pay for the excessive amounts of debt that come with your sports and clubs.

This year students also have to pay $75 to park in the senior lot and the junior strip. In the 2013-2014 school year it was only $25 and to raise it another $50 seems ridiculous. Also, juniors are really paying for a parking spot that is almost the same distance as parking by Wilson Park on Fehling Road for free. You’ll just have to decide if you’d rather pay for the parking sticker or get to school early everyday to get a good spot.

Buying your school textbooks is something you’ve always had to do but now with all the technology and new things we use to learn in class I personally only use textbooks in two of my five actual classes. The other books are not used and have become $50 just sitting in my locker all year. In some cases I can understand how a textbook is very useful but now that we’re starting to use them less and less, it doesn’t make sense to pay more and more for them.

The fees to join a club are not as expensive as other fees, but there is a small fee for some. As soon as you get into high school, you’re told to get involved, get involved, get involved. Well, I don’t think you should have to pay to be able to feel like you’re a part of the school. Clubs like Science Club, Foreign Language Club, Social Studies Club are not only fun, but they further your education. That shouldn’t be something you have to pay for.

I just don’t think all these fees are necessary for a quality high school career. There is nothing wrong with paying for things, but when you’re trying to have fun, get involved, and make your high school experience the best it can be, I don’t think there should be a price for that. Memories are priceless, but extracurricular activities are not.