How to be a Better Warrior

Cody Schaefer and Austin Gilmore

1. Get Involved

One of the easiest ways to be an involved Warrior is to take part in activities here at the high school. Don’t be the student who comes to school everyday but doesn’t make the most of the experience. Let’s think of it this way: if you think you could be doing more, you should be. Every student should want to do something for the high school, and you need to find what you want to do.

Playing sports is a great way to feel like a part of the GCHS family. It is an easy way to make friends and have fun. There are a wide variety of sports that you can take part in for the school. Join in on the football team, the golf team, track and field, basketball, and baseball. Those sports also need someone to cheer them on. Cheerleaders are always needed to spread school spirit at games.

If sports are not your thing, you could always join one of the dozens of clubs we have. There is a club for any interest you might have. GCHS offers Foreign Language Club, Hobby Club, Spirit Club, and many others.

1. Wear More GCHS Gear

An easy way to show some school pride is to wear a Warrior t-shirt or some form of Warrior clothes. You can buy GCHS clothing all over Granite City, so why not go get some and wear it to school? Representing our school even after the school day ends is an awesome way to show commitment to the school we call home.

Coming up soon is our Welcome Back Rally, so you could go to Mrs. Ames’s room and buy a class t-shirt to wear to the rally. Our theme for this year is social media. Going all out during the rally is a great way to show some spirit.

Once winter is here, you are going to need something to help you stay warm. Mr. Jackson is also selling some very nice Warrior sweatshirts right now.

1. Go to Warrior Games

There is nothing better than a Friday night home game, so why are you missing them? There are so many sports here at the high school and a lot of games you could be going to. Friday night games are a great place to be and a great way to hang out with friends. You should even try to deck out in the chosen clothing style for that game. This makes going to the games more fun, and it’s interesting to see how people dress up for the game.

Now, this does not mean that you have to go to every game you possibly can, but you should always try and make at least one game. The support and big crowds at the game will help the players play better and feel good while they play. Do not just sit at home and watch T.V. Get out of the house at least once and come out to a home game so you can hang out with your friends, and to support our team to win the game. Come and have a great time with the rest of the school.

1. Post about GCHS on Your Social Media

Your social media profile is something that represents you. An easy way to show some school spirit is to post about GCHS on your social media. Make posts so the people following you see that you are proud to be a Granite City Warrior. Making posts with the hashtag #GCHSYB can give you a chance to get your pictures into the yearbook. You want to get to know everyone at GCHS, so getting a photo of yourself into the yearbook will make you more noticeable.

1. Get to Know People at GCHS

Interactivity is a great thing to have in high school, and getting to know people is great for spreading school spirit. The clubs and sports written about earlier are a great way of meeting new people and getting to know them. Even just talking to the people in classes are a great way to get to know people. Opportunities will come up all over the place to meet new people; you just have to look for them.

Everyone is a little shy when they first come to the high school, but that shouldn’t hold someone back from meeting new people and getting involved. Even talking to your teachers is a great way to show that you are dedicated and willing to work hard. Just remember this: GCHS is more than a school, and it is more than a place to see your friends. It is a home. We are the family that was raised here, and our family name is the Warriors. Be proud to be here.