Islamophobia in New York

Jake Woods, Staff Writer

On September 13th, also known as the Islamic holiday Eid-al-Adha, a muslim woman standing on 5th avenue in New York, NY was set on fire. The woman claims she was just standing in the street when she noticed that her traditional muslim clothing was on fire. She quickly stamped out the fire and looked up to see a man holding a lighter. The man quickly ran off and has eluded authorities.

Racism only hinders the ability of society to advance as a unit. Without prejudice, society would be able to move forward without tension making for a better overall community.”

— De'Erion Eldrich

It has been fifteen years since 9/11, yet hate crimes and prejudice of foreign practices are still carried out. Many people don’t realize that just because someone is from a foreign country doesn’t mean that they plan on America’s demise.

This hate crime came shortly after two Muslim mothers had been beaten by another woman while they were pushing their own children in strollers down a busy street in Brooklyn.

Islamophobia is still very present in our country today and should be better controlled.  

“Any kind of phobia is a fear, and once you inform yourself about Islam and the Muslim religion, that fear will disappear,” said Mrs. Mueller, a GCHS Spanish teacher.

9/11 sparked an era where Muslims are feared and are grouped into false stereotypes. Hate against an entire culture not only damages a community, but it prevents us from moving forward as a society. Islamophobia creates many societal disadvantages that could be taken care of if there was a better sense of understanding between Americans and Muslims.

After speaking with GCHS sophomore De’Erion Eldrich, this is what he has to say about racisms such as Islamophobia. “Racism only hinders the ability of society to advance as a unit. Without prejudice, society would be able to move forward without tension making for a better overall community.”

Most people agree that racism prevents a community from reaching its full potential, and therefore should be stopped immediately. So go out and meet new people of all shapes and sizes and of any race, because underneath our skin we are all the same.