Building a Better Playhouse

Marvin Thomas, Alyssa Wells, and Destiny Zimmerman, Staff Writers

Have you ever seen one of our amazing plays at Granite City High School? The lighting is done just right, the walls look detailed, and the whole set just blows your mind. Who makes these incredible, creative sets?―the Technical Theatre students at Granite City High School.

These students are often overlooked as scenes play out on stage, but they serve an integral part behind the scenes. The students make the set, lighting, sound, costumes, props, special effects, and more. Behind the scenes, these students do everything that doesn’t consist of acting theatre. This class requires many different types of skills. For instance, students learn how to use a drill, how to use a power saw, how to paint, how to measure wood, and how to make walls for the set.

It takes teamwork to run this class, and that’s what the Tech. Theatre students are, a hardworking team.”

The play currently being assembled by our Tech. Theatre students is Arsenic and Old Lace by Joseph Kesselring. The students will paint and design sets that project a 1940’s atmosphere. Most people don’t see the hard work our theatre students do, but one man does―Mr. Manoogian. Mr. Manoogian truly cares about the GCHS Theatre Program. It’s what he loves to do. He is strict and precise, but he makes it fun. It takes teamwork to run this class, and that’s what the Tech. Theatre students are, a hardworking team. Please remember the diligent staff behind the scenes next time you sit down and enjoy another wonderful play here at GCHS. To view their hard word for yourself, please go see Arsenic and Old Lace on October 15th.