Year of the Students?

Jack Blomme, Hector Leon, and Isaiah Mizell

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Cubs and Cardinals. Blues and Blackhawks. What do they have in common? These are some of the biggest sporting rivalries in history, but a rivalry of bigger proportions at GCHS is the Varsity Club vs. Faculty basketball game. By now we all know the chances of the faculty winning once again this year and continuing their winning streak is likely. But there is always hope for the Varsity Club. This year Varsity Club has some previous Warrior basketball players along with numerous other athletes. With the Cubs having a chance of ending their drought, will Varsity Club have a chance, too? Will it be the year of the students?

It’ll be a lot of fun. I think Varsity Club has a good chance this year and the prior results. We are going to break the streak.”

— Grant Beanland

The faculty has dominated the Varsity Club almost every year. The closest the students got to beating them was in 2001. A junior, Andrew Crider, sunk a 3-pointer at the buzzer to tie the game. He tells the story too often. Since then, the event has been dominated by the faculty.

This year, however, the students look to take home a win and break the teacher’s winning streak. Grant Beanland, Varsity Club athlete, said, “It’ll be a lot of fun. I think Varsity Club has a good chance this year even with the prior results. We are going to break the streak.”

Mrs. Swip, on the other hand, has a different outlook. “It’ll be a lot of fun. The faculty will win.”

Will the Varsity Club break their losing streak, or will the faculty continue to dominate? It will definitely be a good game. Come out to the main gym on November 4th at 7:00pm to find out who will win. Will this year be the year of the students?