Winter To Do List

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter To Do List

It’s finally here! The time of the year when you burn your tongue with hot chocolate. The time of  year that keeps you on the TV guide trying to find your favorite Christmas movie. And guess what, it’s finally past Thanksgiving, which means it’s socially acceptable to listen to Christmas music on full blast. With winter being one of the most crisp and beautiful times of the year, here is your Winter To Do List.

1. Play in the Snow

Snow provokes responses that reach right back to childhood.

– Andy Goldsworthy

Whether you 6 or 60, Snow is always one of the best ways to waste your day. As a kid you were eager to get outside, even if it meant you went outside knowing you will only last an hour, you were ready to play, so let that be the same today. Go to sleep in one world and wake up in another.

1.  Watch Christmas Movies

“Christmas is just about my favorite time. Ever since I was a little kid, I always felt like it was  my own personal holiday.” — Ernest P. Worrell (Jim Varney)

Now really, who doesn’t love Christmas movies? Whether it’s “Elf” or “A Christmas Story” sit down with your Hot Chocolate and enjoy the magic.

Winter movie must sees:

Disneys “A Christmas Carol”        How the Grinch Stole Christmas (Classic and 2000 Remake)

Deck the Halls                               A Christmas Story

The Polar Express                        National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation

Christmas With the Kranks           All of the Home Alone Movies

Elf                                                  I’ll Be home for Christmas

Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer    Frosty the Snowman

Now obviously this is just a shortened list, but seriously, take a day and binge out on Christmas movies and peppermint bark popcorn, you won’t regret it.

1.  Write A Christmas Card

“Rats. Nobody sent me a Christmas card today. I almost wish there weren’t a holiday season. I know nobody likes me. Why do we have to have a holiday season to emphasize it?”

— Charlie Brown

Yes, I know it’s 2016 and we have the internet to send cute little Christmas cards, but no, don’t do that. Be social, send a Christmas card to your grandma or another family member. Because it might actually mean the world to them.

1. Bake Cookies

I love cookies baking. During the winter, they have these candles that smell like cookies, and I      always buy like a hundred of them.

-Jared Padalecki

Who doesn’t love cookies? The moment you yank open the oven door that sweet, warm aroma  fills the room. Nothing like getting into the mood of a warm Christmas movie then sharing Santa’s favorite snack. So sit down with a parent, friend, or anyone and enjoy the day. You can use this time to  watch your new favorite Christmas movie.

1. Go Ice Skating

I tried ice-skating and wasn’t very good at it.

-Anton Yelchin

If you’re like me (clumsy and accident prone), then maybe ice skating isn’t for you, or you could be like me and try it anyway. Even though it’s winter that doesn’t mean you can’t still be active. Take a night and go to Steinberg Skating Rink in St. Louis or even Wilson Park Skating Rink here in Granite and try to fail or try to fly, well skate, you’re not going to get far in flying with those big metal skates tied to your ankles, but you get the idea.    

Now it’s your turn. Let’s find out what GCHS students found to be the most exciting thing during the winter.

1. Go Sledding

Many students such as freshman Grace Sedabres and junior Megan Hayes find this to be most exciting for more than one reason. For Grace it’s a pretty simple day: wake up, drink some hot chocolate, pile on the layers, and go, then end the day with a hot shower. “It’s just fun and free!” For Megan it’s more than just fun, it’s an adrenaline rush. “I mean you get this adrenaline rush whenever you’re sledding. It’s really fun because you’re going down hill like a roller coaster ride, but not as safe. After sledding I go home and take a nap.” For most teenagers this is one of the best ways to spend time in the winter. What about you? Up for a sledding adventure?

1. “Netflix and Chill” (with your cat) or Sleep in and Jam to Music

Winter is the perfect time for this. For sophomore Marley Wilkinson this is a walk in the park, “I like curling up in my bed and blasting my music. I would do my morning routine and then curl back into bed because it’s cold, because who really wants to be out when it’s cold.” I’m pretty sure we can all relate to Marley. Enjoy the day!

1. Decorate the House

If winter, no, if Christmas is your favorite time of the year then you will probably relate to junior Courtney Aaron and many others. Why would someone enjoy doing all that work? “Because it’s just fun, and you get to be festive. You get to dance around in fuzzy socks and just relax.” Even if you don’t enjoy this time of the year, do it! Help your parents decorate the house or you, decorate your room. Put on your fuzzy socks and get to it.

1. Read and Drink Hot Chocolate

Reading. It is not very popular with teenagers in the warm months, but in the cold months it’s a different story. Junior Carlee Dickerson said, “Because for me, I’ve always loved to read, so it’s just the perfect time to read during the winter, so you can stay inside and not be cold.” If you’re a person that does not enjoy reading, my advice to you is, try it, maybe you don’t like it because of your English class? It’s completely different when you get to pick the book you get to be lost in. Try and you will enjoy.

1. Be excited for Christmas? Then be totally done with Winter

Finally, it’s all over. No more Frosty the Snowman or Sleigh Bells will ever be heard for at least another 320 days and then the cycle starts all over again. It’s cold, and you think to yourself every morning, Netflix or school? By January you will be beyond done with winter just like everyone else, so let’s just leave that there. Number 10, be completely over with winter.

Have fun completing whatever your list may consist of! Be safe and make lasting memories. Wear your fun fuzzy socks, burn your tounge on hot chocolate and jam out to your favorite Christmas music! Don’t forget to check out GCHS’ 10th Anniversary production of A Christmas Carol.

Merry Christmas!!