Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Billy Armbruster, Staff Writer

Have you ever wanted the courage to talk in front of your class without the nervous twitching, sweating, and overall dread of performing? Well, in Competitive Performance, you learn to do just that! Here’s the basic requirements to pass: you must attend two tournaments in either Speech or Debate and compete. That’s it!

Do you want to be funny and make people laugh? There’s an event for that. Actually, multiple events: Humorous Interpretation, Humorous Duet Acting, and Special Occasion Speaking.

Do you have a flair for the dramatic? Try out Dramatic Interpretation, Dramatic Duet Acting, Poetry, or Prose.

“Try anything and everything, even if it sounds scary…go big or go home””

— Kat Smith

Or maybe you’re the intellectual type? If so, give a whirl at Lincoln Douglas Debate, Public Forum Debate, Impromptu, or Extemporaneous Speaking.

That’s not even the whole list of events you can perform in this class. This class is more than just an elective; it’s an inside look at the ongoings of the Granite City Speech and Debate team, and the close knit family that is formed through the mutual respect of performing and acceptance of everyone. Whether you’re the nerdiest nerd around town or even the president of the Student Council, everyone is accepted.

“Try anything and everything, even if it sounds scary. Go big or go home!” said Kat Smith, a three year veteran on the GCHS Speech Team. Oliver Nelson, a student who’s previously taken the class stated, “Don’t be intimidated by the speech kids.” Just because there is a close bond does not mean you won’t be included in the family that is the GCHS Speech Team.

Public speaking is a fear that almost everyone can relate to. Mrs. McQuiggan, the teacher advocate for the class, said, “Trying something out is scary at first, but it’s something a lot of people should push themselves to do.” This class will teach you all of the basics, and even more of public speaking as long as you “Keep an open mind and be willing to learn while opening yourself to new experiences and meeting new people,” said Mrs. McQuiggan.

The thought running through the mind of most the readers is, “How does one sign up for such an amazing experience?” What a good question. First, go to Mrs. McQuiggan in room 230 and ask for a permit to sign up for the class. Then go to your counselor and add it into your schedule before March 31st. Speech and Debate is an experience that will last a lifetime! You won’t regret it.

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Showcase

Senior Sunrise!

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Hall Cops

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• Competitive Performance: What Is It?

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

Competitive Performance: What Is It?