Foods and Moods

Shonte Adams and Andrea Woodson

Did you know foods affect your moods? You might be wondering, “How can something as simple as food change my attitude?”

Junk foods are the main food that everyone wants. Many people eat junk food or snacks when they are angry, feeling depressed, or just bored. Grace Neidhardt, a senior at GCHS, said, “If I was angry and someone offered me a snack, I would be happy.” Junk foods have a good effect on people when they are in a bad mood because the chocolate or candy that they eat causes people to relax. But as stated in the article, Poor Eating Behaviors Can Worsen Mood from PsychCentral “new research suggests this behavior may be counterproductive as researchers discover mood may actually worsen after unhealthy eating choices for women who are concerned about their diet and self-image”. So when people think that junk foods will help better their mood, it actually makes it worse.

There are some other foods, such as vegetables, that many people said that would have a negative effect on their mood or not affect them at all. Many people, including me, probably don’t like vegetables or healthy foods because it’s nasty and it doesn’t taste as good as other foods like fast food or junk food. Andrea Woodson, a junior at GCHS, said, “If I was sad, and someone gave me a vegetable, I would get angry.” This is reflected in the HealthyOptions article Why Some People Don’t Like Vegetables, “Vegetables, although very healthy, do have a component of bitterness to them.” That may be one reason why people don’t like vegetables.

Fast food is something that almost everyone likes. McDonald’s, Wendy’s, and Subway are all fast food restaurants. If someone was to buy me a meal from any of the restaurants above, and I was feeling happy, my attitude would change to excited or remain the same. Fast food have items that people like such as burgers, fries, and shakes. TheHindu article Why are junk food and fast food so popular? Says that “fast food is often the default choice. Not only is it convenient and easy to grab, it’s also tasty and cheap. And fast food joints also serve as great teenage hangout places.” So Cheria Tillman, a junior at GCHS said “McDonald’s changes my mood from sad to happy, because the food there tastes good and it’s more fast than cooking at home.”

Jeinner Velasquez, a senior at GCHS, said “A watermelon would make me feel better if I was depressed.” Fruits are healthy for you and it would help change your mood by making you happy. According to the New York Times article HOW DIET CAN AFFECT MOOD AND BEHAVIOR, “studies indicate that foods and nutrients might be used therapeutically to treat such common problems as depression…” Some people said that they are likely to choose a fruit to make them happy.

Not many people said that vegetables would make them happy. Most people said that either junk food, fast food, or home cooked meals would change their mood from mad to happy.

The reason why everyone chose that junk food and fast food would make their mood better is because fast food restaurants serve their food in a quick amount of time and junk food tastes good to them. Fast food is more convenient than waiting more than 20 minutes for a home cooked meal to get finished, and having to clean up after themselves. Not many people in our society choose to eat vegetables, either because they see more people eating on junk food, or they want to be cheap and find something they think is more good for them. “Junk food is typically cheap, processed and prepackaged, making it easily available…” stated in the article Reasons People Eat Junk Food Instead Of Healthy Food from LiveStrong. So, in conclusion, more people need to be more healthy and eat healthy food rather than eat junk foods and fast foods, because eating healthy will have a more positive effect on you. Eating healthy also can reduce stress, and make you a happier person.

• Foods and Moods

Showcase

Senior Sunrise!

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Hall Cops

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• Foods and Moods

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• Foods and Moods

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• Foods and Moods

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• Foods and Moods

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

Foods and Moods