Reelecting Ed

STL Today

STL Today

Rebecca Bazzell, Editor in Chief

Goodbye yard signs. Hello reelection. Mayor Ed Hagnauer was reelected for his fourth consecutive term on April 4th, 2017. Another four years for Ed! This makes his tenure as mayor the second longest in Granite City next to Leonard Davis, who helped run this city from 1949-1965 (16 years).

At 10 P.M. on the night of the elections a post on Hagnauer’s Facebook page Friends to Elect Ed Hagnauer read “Many thanks to those who have been there from the very beginning, to my family who make all things possible for me, to my friends who have always been at my side and to those folks who have supported me through the years— thank you from the very bottom of my heart. I know that I am the lucky one—to have all of you in my life. Now, on to four more years, moving this city we all love and call home, forward.”

And changing his photo to this.

“Hagnauer defeated challenger Art Asadorian 2,980-1,639 with all 29 precincts reporting in Tuesday’s election” stated Theo Tate of Advantage News in Alton, IL.

If you voted that’s all that matters.”

— Angela Christine Ochoa

Mixed emotions have been swirling around, and some Granite City residents hoped to see a new face in the mayor’s office this spring, but Granite City resident Angela Christine Ochoa stays focused on the overall picture of keeping Granite City great no matter whose hands are at the helm, “If you voted that’s all that matters. It doesn’t always pan out like you wanted,” she commented on another Granite City resident who was disappointed about Art Asadorian’s loss.

Many people such as Granite City resident and 1995 GCHS alumni Matt Affolter stated, “To be perfectly honest, the only reason I voted was for the sales tax referendum which I voted in favor of.”

For the residents who don’t know about the sales tax referendum, Mr. Jim Greenwald, Superintendent, stated in a PowerPoint, “an alternative revenue source that shifts AWAY from relying on property taxes for local school district funding. 1% of every dollar spent on qualifying retail purchases goes towards school facilities. Granite City School District #9 would recognize $3.5 million of additional revenue to reinvest in GCSD9 buildings.”

Amy Miller, a Granite City resident for the last 11 years, said, “I am an independent voter. I do not choose party lines…thank you to both candidates for the relentless service  to the city of Granite City during their civil service jobs as first responders. Granite City, like all cities, have their problems but I believe since Mayor Hagnauer has been in office this situation has decreased. With his work alongside my brother-in-law Rich Miller (Chief of Police), and all city employees, Mayor Hagnauer has made this a safer place to live. Hagnauer has hired more police officers and insured more jobs in the city, as well as kept costs down for the city’s budget. He also started the program to regulate landlords and their properties. This has created a more crime-free patrol area, which also increases property value. He has also expanded new businesses as well as helped out the older businesses in the city. The mayor has aided in rebuilding hundreds of new homes in the city for low subsidy income families. Because of these positive attributions, over his past 12 years, these are reasons for my revote for Mayor Hagnauer. I’m proud to call him our mayor.”

Congratulations, Mayor Hagnauer, on your 4th term as Mayor of Granite City. Keep making Granite City great!

• Reelecting Ed

Showcase

Senior Sunrise!

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Hall Cops

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• Reelecting Ed

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

Reelecting Ed