Where Do I Pee?

Morgan Cross, Staff Writer

A bathroom is supposed to be a place where you feel safe and comfortable, right? Not for everyone. Should transgender people expect the same treatment and laws for public restroom use? Kat Smith, a junior at GCHS said, “Until now, no one really cared that we have been sharing bathrooms with trans people our whole lives.”

In Illinois you can use the restroom consistent with your gender identity. If confronted, you do not have to produce identification to prove your gender, and you are protected by laws in Illinois. However, many people, especially students in schools, are confronted for this.

Oliver Nelson, a senior at GCHS, is transgender and feels strongly about this. “I like having my own space. I think it is important for trans students to have their own space so they feel comfortable and don’t get picked on.” Having a space you feel safe in, especially at school, is essential to a student’s well-being.

We are all people who are there for the same thing”

— Courtney Long And Jason Burnett

We shouldn’t judge anyone for wanting to use their identified bathrooms. Jason Burnett and Courtney Long both agree that everyone is equal. “We have been using the same bathrooms as them. We are all people who are there for the same thing. It shouldn’t matter what you actually identify, as we are all people.”

Everyone should be treated equally. We might be far away from a conclusion to this matter, but making it legal to use your identified bathroom is a big step. Not everyone agrees. There are some people who are still trying to get this law repealed. GCHS student, Kyle Davis, feels strongly about this. “I shouldn’t have to feel awkward and uncomfortable when using the restroom because of someone’s beliefs. If you are physically identified as a boy or girl I believe you should stick to the assigned restroom of your gender. If you feel uncomfortable then just use a stall.”

Many people just want to feel comfortable in their own skin. Bre Rogers, another senior at GCHS, has the same opinions. “Trans people using the same bathrooms as us makes some people uncomfortable.Some people may identify as one gender, but with the parts and looks of the other gender. So sharing a bathroom with people like that can make other people uncomfortable.

The debate will go on and ultimately, someone is going to be unhappy with the decision.  Society changes and sometimes the change can be a painful process and other times it happens without much fanfare.  This debate is shaping up to the former.

• Where Do I Pee?

Showcase

Senior Sunrise!

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Hall Cops

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• Where Do I Pee?

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

Where Do I Pee?