R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Claire Ames, Editor

You walk into your first hour class and say, “Hey, Linda”—wait, what?  As we near the end of the year I can’t help but notice a trend that has made its way into our school. Throughout the past year there have been problems between students and staff within the school. On multiple occasions students have been found referring to teacher, and even administrators, by their first name. As crazy as this sounds it is true, and its negative effects can be found in the classroom.  

Students that call their teachers by their first names usually think nothing of it. Most think they are being light hearted and messing around with the teacher. Students may not realize the effect they are having on the teacher and the learning environment in the classroom. “I thought that my teacher was okay with it at first. I was not trying to be disrespectful. It was just a joke,” said Jake Woods, a sophomore. It’s all about perspective and understanding how the other person involved feels.  

I thought that my teacher was okay with it at first. I was not trying to be disrespectful. It was just a joke.”

— Jacob Woods

Even if the students thought they were joking with their teacher, sometimes the teacher has a different view. Mrs. Ames said, “I do not find it appropriate whatsoever.” To teachers, calling them by their first name is disrespecting their degree and their authority. When you choose to call a teacher by anything but their professional name, you are deliberately defying the respect that you should have for a teacher.

“Some kids don’t want to accept the fact that teachers are different from students, we have different rules that we have to abide by, and you have rules you have to abide by because we are in different categories. We deserve a different type of treatment because we are not friends,” said Mrs. Mueller. It’s not that Mrs. Mueller doesn’t like the jokes, she finds it funny at times, but when it interrupts the class it becomes a problem.  

Teachers are always friendly with their students; it’s a part of the job. When students make the decision to take that friendliness to the next level is when problems arise. Calling teachers by their first names is a blatant sign of disrespect. Next time you walk into a teacher’s room and open your mouth to address him or her, take a split second and think about what name you’re going to use, because your choice might carry important consequences.

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Showcase

Senior Sunrise!

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Hall Cops

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Favorite High School Memories – GCHS Seniors 2017

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Letter from the Editor in Chief

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Interview with the May Queens

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Senior Sendoff

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

Farewell, Granite High World

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

The Gang Goes to New York

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

May Carousel: 95 Years in the Making

• R-e-s-p-e-c-t

Feature

High School: Lessons Learned

R-e-s-p-e-c-t