Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Austin Gilmore, Staff Writer

What do you expect when you go to see a movie at the theater? Are you expecting action, adventure, danger, and high speeds? Then Fast and Furious 8, one of the most anticipated movies of the year, is for you. Why should you watch this movie?

Since its release, The Fate of the Furious has become the biggest worldwide film opening since 2002. But the fun is just getting started. It starts off with Dominic winning another street race. Later, he is met by a known terrorist named Cypher. She threatens to hurt Dom’s family if he doesn’t help her. Dom has no choice but to turn on his entire crew.

This is the setting for the entire movie and it only gets better from here. A mission comes up later that night, and Dom turns on everyone and puts Hobbs in jail, right across from Deckard Shaw. Dom stole an EMP device and got it to Cypher. This is a turning point for everyone because the only ones that saw this coming were Dom and Cypher.

Later, Cypher shows Dom that she is holding Elena and a child that Dom is supposed to be the father of hostage. Cypher forces Dom to work with her or both will die. She sends him to retrieve nuclear launch codes from the Russian president who is visiting in New York. Dom retrieves them, after having a battle with his team to escape. Letty steals the codes, but before she can get away, one of Cypher’s henchmen stops her and is about to shoot her. But Dom stops him and saves Letty. Because of this action, Cypher makes Dom watch one of his friends lose their life right in front of him. This is when Dom starts to take action to avenge his family.

Within 2 days, Cypher sends Dom to a Russian military base in the arctic to activate a submarine to launch torpedoes around the world. But Dom has a plan to avenge everyone. His crew follows him to stop the torpedoes from launching and succeed, but the sub is still active and heading for open waters. Meanwhile, Dom recruited Deckard and his brother, Shaw, to get his son away from Cypher and to safety. They succeed and the sub is later destroyed. The gang is back, and now Deckard and his family are now part of the team. Dom finally gets to hold his son, and he names him Brian.

This is what family is all about. Doing what you can for the ones you care about. That is what Dom was trying to do this entire movie and it gives it a great run for its money. All in all, this is one of the best films in the franchise. There are supposedly two more films being made to finish the series. Those films will be the result of The Fate of the Furious.

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

Director’s Cut: Granite City Cinema

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

ILMEA Vlog

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

Champions Thrice Over: The Marching Warriors

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

We Paint Like Bob Ross

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

Imagine…

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

Cursed Child Book Review

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

St. Louis Event Calendar

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

The Joker Origin Movie

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

The Student Voice

• Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious

Arts and Entertainment

Call of Duty: World War ll

Movie Review: The Fate of the Furious