Filed under Feature, Showcase

Letter from the Editor in Chief

“You guys might not know this, but I consider myself a bit of a loner. I tend to think of myself as a one-man wolf pack. But when I entered room 270 on that first day of junior year, I knew the Granite High World staff was one of my own. And my wolf pack…it grew.”

-”The Hangover” with a gentle GHW revision

In August of 2015 I walked into Mr. Crider’s room 270, Journalism 1 class and became a staff writer. I don’t remember working hard to achieve great success, but I do remember laughing and enjoying high school for the first time.

Pullquote Photo

I knew the Granite High World staff was one of my own. And my wolf pack…it grew. ”

— -”The Hangover” with a gentle GHW revision

Lesson number one was learned. Enjoy it and don’t make it stressful. You are here because someone knows you will strive in that position. So take it and run around with it like you would your favorite stuffed animal when you were little. It will be over soon.

In September of 2015 I wrote my first article, Happiest Days of Our Lives, and even though that point of my life wasn’t the happiest, the feeling of being published drove me to continue writing, and I’m happier because of it.

The next month I was knee deep in video journalism. Lugging around cameras, tripods, and bags galore!

In the months to come I wrote many stories, one after the other on all kinds of topics. And just like that lesson number two was learned. The stories you write should drive you, they should move you, and they should make you strive to be better. A good story is informational and enjoyable to read. Let your quotes push you from word to word and remember what Mr. Peter Maer said, “Always remember why and who you are writing for.”

Continuing my Granite High World journey, I wrote four more stories and a segment with Thomas Victor Moslander III called Everyday Warrior. I realized I wanted to be part of this team, something bigger, and I never wanted to let go of this feeling of being a part of something in high school. And just like that junior year came to a close.

In the fall my world changed again, and this time it couldn’t get better. In May of 2016 Mr. Crider appointed me Editor-in-Chief of Granite High World for the 2016-2017 school year.  

Granite High World quickly became my life. I continued to work everyday and all of GHW became my wolf pack. I made life long friends and continued to help the website thrive, but it couldn’t have happened without my other staff writers, editors, alumni, all of GCHS, friends, family, and of course, Mr. Crider to lead me.  

In August of 2016 a wild senior welcome back kickstarted GHW, and with the rest of the staff, I began grinding out articles, covering endless photo shoots, putting my hands on everyone’s projects, being someone to discuss article structure with or just an ear to listen when someone needed it.

Lesson number three I learned without even realizing it. A leader listens to others, they will show you what needs to be done.

Yet, it wasn’t until my last four articles that Granite High World taught me the most important lesson: if you remain curious and keep an open mind, journalism becomes a pleasure, a source of joy in a sometimes difficult high school life. You enable yourself to spit out articles on captivating subjects and people, and guess what? They’re good!

And then you look back and suddenly you’re writing your senior goodbyes. So thank you, Granite High World, you have taught me so much and loved me through it all. Have a great summer and I can’t wait to watch all of you push forward, but this time it will be from my college laptop instead of room 270.

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

Welcome Back Rally Video

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

EIU Band Competition

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

Court Couples – Part 2

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

Homecoming Week Video – Day 1

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

Teacher Impressions

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

The Homeschool Dropouts | #1 |

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

#WhyISign

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Arts and Entertainment

Imagine…

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

The Cemetery Club

• Letter from the Editor in Chief

Feature

2017 Homecoming Court – PART I

Letter from the Editor in Chief