Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

Kat Smith, Staff Writer

In 1944, Hudson Jewelers opened as part of the first strip mall in the St. Louis area. In 2017, 73 years later, Hudson’s is a beloved part of Granite City and Edwardsville. With excitement and sadness, Rosalie and Virgil Hudson are retiring from the jewelry business.

Matt Crosson, who has worked at Hudson’s for eighteen years, has mixed emotions about the store closing.

I’m excited about the future, it’s been a big part of my life for a long time. I get a little bit emotional thinking about it sometimes. I’m with the people here more than I’m with my own family sometimes”

— Matt Crosson

“I’m excited about the future, it’s been a big part of my life for a long time. I get a little bit emotional thinking about it sometimes. I’m with the people here more than I’m with my own family sometimes.”

The Granite High World staff asked Matt his favorite part of working for the family store was and he had this to say, “Just, you know, everyday being a new experience, never knowing what kind of customers you’re going to get, who you’ll be dealing with. It’s been fun, it’s my favorite thing to be working with people.”

Other workers, such as Barbra, agree that the customers are what makes the job fun. The GHW staff asked Barb what the saddest part about the store closing was.

“The older people who have supported us for years. It just hit me the other day, I’m looking around me and I see all this bareness and it’s just sad. We know what the store was at one time and to see what it has come to. Granite City is just not flourishing anymore and so it’s hard. It’s hard on Rosalie and Virgil because they put their blood, sweat and tears into this place and so it was really hard for them to decide to close the store here. This is kinda like an era gone by, you know?”

Even though they are closing the Granite City location, the store in Edwardsville will stay open. The official closing date for Hudson Jewelers is June 17, so there is plenty of time to take advantage of the 70% off sale! They are selling down to bare walls! You might even see some familiar GHW staff holding a sign out front. Help us all wish Virgil and Rosalie a happy retirement! 

About the Writer
Kat Smith, Staff Writer

Kat is a junior here at GCHS. She is on the speech team and is active in the school's theatre program. As of currently, she has dyed her hair 30 times...

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Future Seniors

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

The Problem of Poverty in America

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

The Tide Pod Challenge

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Winter Health and Wellness 2018

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Opioid Epidemic

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

On the Road to Kill

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Las Vegas: What’s Happened and What’s to Come

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

For the Love of the Law

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Caffeine Addiction

• Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

News

Impeachment?

Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!