Filed under Feature, Showcase

Missing GCHS

Granite City High School isn’t just a school. It’s a place to get involved, try new things, discover yourself, meet new people, and create memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life. It is your home for four years. So, having a great school to attend is important. GCHS remains a forever home in the hearts of many because it is always full of excitement with rallies, competitive sports and games, a diverse selection of clubs, and very involved staff. When you graduate, you look back on the wonderful times that you had in high school and want to remember them forever. Everyone misses high school at some point in their lives, and here are some things that Granite City alumni miss about their high school.

Madeline Sheridan graduated with the class of 2017 and is now currently attending St. Louis University. She misses seeing all of her friends and all the Tribe events. She also misses all of her teachers at GCHS. Her favorite memory throughout the four years in high school was when the basketball team had one second left and everyone thought they had won, so the student section rushed the court. The game wasn’t actually over yet. So, they went back up to the bleachers. After that one second elapsed, she rushed the court with the Tribe to celebrate.

Pullquote Photo

Nothing feels better than being a part of something bigger than yourself and having everyone come together for one common purpose; that is, to cheer on your school and have fun.”

— Kennedi Coakley

Kennedi Coakley graduated alongside Madeline and is currently attending SWIC. What she misses most about GCHS is the student section. “Nothing feels better than being a part of something bigger than yourself and having everyone come together for one common purpose; that is, to cheer on your school and have fun,” said Kennedi. She misses high school because when she graduated she realized she had to become independent and make her own decisions, unlike in high school. She truly misses seeing her friends everyday.

Ben Klee carried on the legacy of The Warrior and graduated in 2016. He misses always having something to go to.There was something to look forward to every night. “Winning Mr. Warrior was by far my favorite memory from GCHS because it was the icing on the cake for my senior year,” Klee said. He misses his senior year because of being The Warrior and always leading The Tribe no matter if our team was winning or losing.

Serving as student body president alongside his vice president Klee, Gabe Jarman is now attending St. Louis University. What he misses most about GCHS is the atmosphere he and his classmates created in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The group started out with only seven people during Gabe’s freshman year. It grew exponentially, having more than 45 kids at the end of his senior year. He is very proud of how he, Mr. Vaughn, and other students helped it come along. The club meant a lot to them and taught him a lot being a part of it, and he is involved with the organization in college on a national level. “It has taught me to be a humble athlete for God and my team and not play pridefully for myself,” Gabe said.

Catherine Jakich is a graduate of the class of 2015 and is now attending SIUE. She misses being in class everyday with her friends and playing multiple sports. “I miss the family atmosphere of high school because in college you are more independent,” Catherine said. Her favorite memory was when she got third at state for shot put.

Matt Jones graduated with the class of 2009 and is currently on the Granite City School Board. He attended St. Louis University after high school. He misses the café ladies making the best yon mazetta, which is “spaghetti-like heaven from before our time.” Ultimately, his favorite memory was performing on stage for the first time his senior year. It was exciting, nerve wracking, and unlike any sport or instrument he had ever played. “By continuing to be a part of the theater department, I am able to relive my high school experience with my peers and former teachers by my side,” said Matt.

For all of these people and many more, high school is a place full of memories they will cherish forever. Sometimes, they even wish they could relive it again. Make the most of your high school experience so that one day you can share all your great memories with future Granite City Warriors.

• Missing GCHS

Feature

Welcome Back Rally Video

• Missing GCHS

Feature

EIU Band Competition

• Missing GCHS

Feature

Court Couples – Part 2

• Missing GCHS

Feature

Homecoming Week Video – Day 1

• Missing GCHS

Feature

Teacher Impressions

• Missing GCHS

Feature

The Homeschool Dropouts | #1 |

• Missing GCHS

Feature

#WhyISign

• Missing GCHS

Arts and Entertainment

Imagine…

• Missing GCHS

Feature

The Cemetery Club

• Missing GCHS

Feature

2017 Homecoming Court – PART I

Missing GCHS