Filed under Opinion

Snapchat Map

Do you want everyone knowing where you are eating dinner tonight, or that you’ll be at the mall with your friends, or you’re sleeping at home? To some, it’s exciting to see what your friends are doing on any given day and it may seem no different than anything else they post on their Snapchat story. To others, it’s a serious privacy threat and just a new way to stalk someone. The new Snapchat Map app was released in June 2017 and so far the reviews are mixed.

The Snapchat App allows users to load a map in the app and see what is going on anywhere in the world. The idea is that you can easily meet up with friends in real life after you see where they are on the map. You have to follow someone or allow someone to follow you and agree to share your location. You can change who can see your location and only share with select friends, or hide your location completely with Ghost Mode. The Snap Map uses a new kind of Bitmoji called Actionmoji, which is a personal avatar of yourself and a prop to show what you are doing, like wearing headphones, hanging at the beach, busy at the airport, and many more.

“I think the map is pretty cool because I can see what my friends are doing at the time and who they’re with,” said Nikki McNamara, a GCHS junior.

“I think the map is dope. I like that I can see where everyone’s at, but they can’t see where I am when I’m on ghost mode,” said Alex Schneider, a GCHS junior.

Most teenagers like the app and use it regularly but some adults are concerned about its safety. On the other hand, some parents use it as a tracking tool and can see exactly what you are doing, where you are, and who you are with. My parents say that they like the app because they can see where I am, but are concerned about the safety of someone being able to follow me and know my exact location.

They’ve added a heat map overlay, which means that you can also see areas on the map with a lot of stories. The user has the ability to see what a group of people are doing across the world, based on their location on the map. If there are a lot of people in the same location, it will light up with a red light. If there aren’t many people in the area, the light will be blue. If I wanted to, I could see who is at a major concert in another state or Disneyworld at any given time. To me, that is a nice add-on feature, but using the app with a select group of friends is how I plan to use it. Most importantly, as with any other social media, make sure you know who has access to your tracking information.

About the Contributors
Lydia Sheridan, Staff Writer
Lydia Sheridan is very funny, athletic, and smart. You can find her on the GCHS volleyball court where she plays middle hitter on varsity and JV. She likely knows every hip-hop song ever made. You can also find her mommy taking her to school junior and senior year because she will probably not get a...
Lilly Byrne, Staff Writer
Lilly is a strong-headed girl who says what she means and means what she says. The truth is always in store when you encounter her. She’s a junior at GCHS, and spends all her time at work or with her best friend Seth.
  • Snapchat Map

Opinion

GCHS: Buying Votes?

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Are We Safe at GCHS?

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Essential Credentials

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Why Black Teachers Matter

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Looking at What Matters

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

#NCorruptAA

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

To The Person Bottling Up Their Stress

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

The Road to Death

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Alien Conspiracy Theories

• Snapchat Map

Opinion

Education is Getting an F

Snapchat Map