Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Justin Wiley, Staff Writer

Being the tallest student in you high school is the best. A 6’8, basketball star name Nick is intelligent, loves to play basketball, and has a lot of pressure on his shoulders this year. Grote is a  junior, but he has a plan for this year’s basketball season. According to Grote, he says “I’m hoping to do better than I did last year. I want to be more efficient while I’m on the court and help my teammates out as well and hopefully give Granite City a winning season this year”. Last year Granite City basketball season didn’t go as well as planned with the head coach Raffi Karibian. The warriors earned a 1-23 record in the 2016-2017 season.

The basketball season is fast approaching for the warriors, and the team has  some new faces on the coaching staff and the court. Grote spoke about new head coach Gerard Moore, “I think Coach Moore is a wonderful coach, he keeps everyone on their toes and focused I think he’s a perfect fit for granite. He has that winning mentality and I think that’s what we need in a coach at Granite.

Moore played for former Illinois coach Lou Henson at New Mexico State from 1998 to 2000. Moore’s oldest son, Zeke, recently transferred from Saint Louis University basketball program and signed with Tennessee Tech of the Ohio valley conference. His oldest daughter, Addaya Moore, is now attending the University of Illinois on a basketball scholarship. Granite City has a returning starter in Zidane Moore, who will be a junior. Zidane is Coach Moore’s youngest son.

Davontay Mason, a point guard on this year’s team, spoke about Grote . “I think nick will do good. Our expectations for him is to grab rebounds, block, shots, and get buckets underneath the rim all game.

Everyone has their eyes on Granite due to the fact their leaving the Southwestern conference after 2017-18 school year.  Grote says, “We can only take steps at a time we will only worry about this year’s season and try to win games in the Southwestern conference.”

Does Coach Moore look to improve from last year, or rebuild a different Warrior’s basketball mentality?

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

GCHS Girls Soccer Spring Preview

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

The Big Breakfast Debate

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Arts and Entertainment

Imagine…

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

Mrs. Meagan Watkins Ushers in a New Era of Cheerleading

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

Social Media Diet

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

Sky’s the Limit

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

Final Time on the Field

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

The Evolution of NASCAR

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

Perils of Single Sport Athletes

• Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

Sports

#HeadNodSquad

Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come