A Night At The Library

Cierra Barrios-Ogle, Staff Writer

Loving school and the arts can make you feel like an outsider in a sports oriented town. Within the community, there’s plenty of locations that offer open arms for those “outsiders.” There’s a great deal of artwork around downtown Granite to enjoy, and  Kool Beanz is perfect if you feel like singing your heart out on karaoke nights. But, there’s one place that creates magic and wonder in the hearts and minds of others: the library.  

The Six Mile Regional Library is a great place to enjoy learning. It’s located a block down from the Granite City Cinema on Delmar Avenue. So, when you finish watching the new Thor movie, go grab a book about him at the library, and read away. But don’t forget to sign up for a library card!

The Six Mile Regional Library reaches out to the community by hosting many activities, especially for teens and kids. They offer a “Lego Club” from 5pm to 7pm every Tuesday in the children’s department. We all know kids will love this and so will your younger siblings! It’s a great way to bond with them and give them the play date they deserve. Or if you’re a high school student needing to find a quiet place after school to study, they offer open hangout study sessions on Tuesdays from 3pm-4pm, and Wednesday from 4pm-5pm. The library also offers computer/wifi access, a printer and copier (for only $0.10), a children’s department, tons of books, and plenty of activities for kids and teens.

I get to have a lot of fun!  I’ve worked in libraries for over fifteen years, and cannot picture myself doing anything different. I really love being part of the Six Mile Regional Library team!”

— Kate Kite

Along with the Six Mile Regional Library, there’s the Branch Library on 2145 Johnson Road. It is open on Mondays from 9am-5pm, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from Noon-8pm, and Thursday through Saturday from 9am-5pm. They’re both closed on Sundays, unfortunately. The Regional Library does have more to offer than the Branch, but they are both very reliable and accessible. The Branch does have a research desk, so if you ever need information about a certain event or topic and don’t have enough time to search for all of your information, the Branch is the place to go.

If you (somehow) find that you have too much time on your hands, come out and volunteer! If you’re ages 13-17, you can go to either location and receive information about being a volunteer. They always want people to help out. Volunteers MUST have a volunteer form on file and they will be given a copy of the volunteer policy. If you are interested in volunteering, you will be participating in the children’s events, working “Friends of the Library” book sales, and being an active member of the Teen Advisory Group, or TAG. TAG is an essential part of making the library a better place for teens by creating events, developing designs, and suggesting materials, and much more.  

“I enjoy working at the library because everyday is different and I get the opportunity to help people with their questions. I really really love working in Teen Services because I feel strongly that the library is here for everyone and want to provide events, resources, and opportunities for teens in our community,” says Kate Kite, a Research and Instruction Librarian.

Libraries might have a boring and lame reputation, but in reality they are interactive, fun, and social. They’re full of entertainment, and wonder, and great people. So, come on down, get some books, and spend the night living in your fantasy land.

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

My Job Shadow Vlog

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

The Premiere of The Walking Dead

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Military Dating

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Warrior Pride

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

GHW Flash Mob – Biker Shuffle

• A Night At The Library

Editors

The Junior Struggle: ACT & SAT

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Functioning Without a Cell Phone

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Behind the Scenes: Editor Edition

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Black Girl Magic

• A Night At The Library

Student Life

Hobby Club

A Night At The Library