Finding A Bookmark

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finding A Bookmark

Jade Green, Chariah Clark

One of the best pieces of advice any principal, teacher, or fellow student can give you is to join as many clubs as you can during your four years of high school. Mostly because it’ll look nice on your college application, but it’s also much better than just sitting on the couch.

“We are always looking for new members to join the club.” ”

— Mr.Macios

Maybe you’re thinking of a club to join but aren’t sure which one is right for you. The Book Club is often overlooked. If you’re busy with practice, work, or other things, Book Club could be perfect for you. Mr. Macios runs the meetings in the Media Center just once a month. On the 3rd Thursday of every month a meeting is held, snacks included, to discuss the chosen book, or decide as a group what your next choices will be.

Mr. Macios would love to see more freshmen and underclassmen join, and says, “We are always looking for new members to join the club.” So, when was the last time you stopped by the Media Center? Even if you don’t think reading is for you, there over 1,300 books in the  GCHS library, and you just need to find the right one for you.

There are shelves and shelves full of books categorized by genre in the library: from Astrology and Psychology, to depression, fashion, sea disasters, and everything in between. The right book will turn the average “Non-reading student” into a bookworm, and Book Club gives you the perfect atmosphere to go over any questions or make comments on your read. Indigo Starko tells us, “Book Club is nice because when I have questions on the book I’m reading I can ask instead of just having to wonder.”

So if you’re ever unoccupied on a 3rd Thursday of any month, you are always welcome to join. A new book is chosen each month and every topic is touched. The doors are open right after school and food will be waiting so come join Mr. Macios and others in the GCHS library for book reviews. It’s for everyone!