A Future in Security?

Grace Bess, Staff Writer

In this world today, there’s a career for everyone. Out of all the careers in the world, some people chose to become a security guard. Who knows, maybe you, the reader, will become a security guard in the future. Maybe you’re not sure or maybe you want to know more about being a security guard. So what’s it like to be a security guard?

If you like protecting people then security is a job I would recommend.”

— Bobby Ervin

My parents own their own security company. Therefore, I have first hand knowledge how this world works. First, all the security guards work different shifts, the day shift and the night shift. If you are on the day shift guard one of your duties is to unlock the door to the building you’re working in, and if you are the night shift guard one of your duties is to lock the building you’re working in. Bobby said ‘ that there are armed and unarmed guards’. Bobby is an armed security guard. That owns his own security company and he also works for his company. The security guard will be guarding a building, like a church, daycare, or even a college. Security guards might even be watching cars.

Being a security guard, you get to meet new people and learn how to be more aware of your surroundings. As different as security companies can be, they all have one goal in common—to keep you safe during different situations.

Security guard, Bobby Ervin, filled us in on his profession. Bobby was excited to talk about his job and what’s it like to be a security guard. He likes to talk to everyone that he sees walk past where he works. “It makes people feel welcome and safe to come to work or just be there to be seen,” said Ervin. Ervin works at a health clinic. Ervin said, “If you like protecting people then security is a job I would recommend.”

If you do become a security guard be safe and pay attention to your surroundings. If being a security guard doesn’t pique your interest, I hope you learned about how difficult and interesting this job can be.

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

Testing the Bond

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

2017 CEO Investor Breakfast

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

GCHS Teacher Transformations 2017

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

Makeup Addiction

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

GCHS MythBusters

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

Finding A Bookmark

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

My Job Shadow Vlog

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

The Premiere of The Walking Dead

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

A Night At The Library

• A Future in Security?

Student Life

Military Dating

A Future in Security?