Opioid Epidemic

Dom Pryor, Editor

When you think of a drug addict what comes to mind?  Teenagers who want to have fun? How about adults who went down the wrong path in life? While these are logical answers, drugs affect people of all age groups and upbringings. One drug that is creating addiction all over the United States is opioids.

Kids just don’t listen. We warn them, but they still try drugs either because of peer pressure or just curiosity.”

— Officer Bailey

Opioids are substances that act on opioid receptors to produce morphine like effects. Such drugs include percocet, methadone, and oxycodone. A well known opioid that is increasing in popularity is heroin. It’s cheap and easily accessible. The opioid epidemic is spreading. Your own home town, Granite City, is one of the many places that is being affected.

Drug overdoses can and have caused many problems for police officers. “There aren’t as many police to deal with domestic abuse cases and traffic violations,” stated Officer Bailey when asked about arising issues. This is because multiple police officers cover one overdose case. Hence, when you have multiple overdoses at once, this leads to even more officers being pulled off the streets.

Time and time again the police department warns young adults about the dangers of drug use. Programs like D.A.R.E and S.A.B.R.E. arose to educate students about substance abuse. Even though there are multiple programs warning against drugs, why is the opioid epidemic getting worse? “Kids just don’t listen. We warn them, but they still try drugs either because of peer pressure or just curiosity.” This was Officer Bailey’s response as to why he thinks kids abuse drugs even after being warned.

Now, you may be asking yourself “What can I do to help the situation?” Staying away from drugs and informing others are just a few ways you could aid the situation. If your friends try to pressure you into trying drugs, remove yourself from the situation. Guiding the next generation away from drug abuse is our next step. GCHS has a program called ALPHA that juniors and seniors can sign up for. This is a great way for older teens to connect with freshmen and guide them in a more positive direction.  This is just one of the many ways our community tries to reach out to the younger students and warn them against drug abuse. The next generation is the future. We, as GCHS students, have a job to guide young teens away from drugs.

About the Writer
Dom Pryor, Editor

Dom Pryor is the type of person that you either love dearly or want to annihilate. She loves all things potatoes, whether it be fried or boiled. Being...

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Future Seniors

• Opioid Epidemic

News

The Problem of Poverty in America

• Opioid Epidemic

News

The Tide Pod Challenge

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Winter Health and Wellness 2018

• Opioid Epidemic

News

On the Road to Kill

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Las Vegas: What’s Happened and What’s to Come

• Opioid Epidemic

News

For the Love of the Law

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Caffeine Addiction

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Impeachment?

• Opioid Epidemic

News

Happy Retirement to the Hudsons!

Opioid Epidemic