GCHS Travels The World

Photoshop by Jack Endicott

Photoshop by Jack Endicott

Brooke Meyer, Staff Writer

When I think of the word “culture,” I think of vibrant colors and various styles of music. I have always wondered what it was like to travel somewhere new and exciting. I’ve always wanted to know more about another culture and what they believe in, what foods they eat, and and what lifestyle they live in.

I get to see how other people live, which you wouldn’t think it’s much different than Granite, but it is. I also get to do things that people have never seen or done before.”

— Miranda Mertz

But when I talked with Marla Garcia, a junior at GCHS, I realized that it’s not all about vibrant colors and music, it’s much more than that. “So I went to Guatemala last summer with my dad, where he was born and raised. He came to the United States when he was 14.”

So why was it important for Marla and her family to return to Guatemala? “Because it’s important to my family to see where my dad grew up, and living in America, we have so much privilege here, so, we take things for granted.” She also mentioned that people are so much more humble, and even though people in Guatemala know they are poor, they take pride in where they live and make the best of life.

I knew immediately I wanted to travel there and experience what she had. I wanted in that moment to help those people in need. Marla educated me about how anywhere in the world, everybody has a different story, and everywhere is different. So where else would Marla like to travel? Mexico was her response because that’s where her mom is from and because she’s more of a Mexican food type of girl, and she’s not a fan of how bland Guatemalan food is.

What did Marla do when she visited Guatemala? “I visited my family, went shopping, went to the hot springs, I visited the capitol, and went to see the landmarks and mountains.” Seeing how important it was to Marla to see where her family is from, and wanting to learn more about her culture, it also makes me want to know the same about mine.

Whether you go to a state, country, or city, there’s something new you can learn by traveling.  Miranda Mertz, a junior at GCHS, went to New York. Did it change her perspective?

“New York definitely had an impact because I thought Granite City was dirty, but New York is twice as bad. Trash Day is everyday and there are so many homeless people living anywhere they can. It was an eye opener to see how lucky I actually am.”

When Miranda went to New York in September, 2017, she tried to fit in as much fun as possible. “We went on a double decker tour bus all around New York—we saw so much stuff because it took us to every suburb, I went to Chinatown, and went to the 9/11 museum, which was a crazy and sad experience. I get to see how other people live, which you wouldn’t think it’s much different than Granite, but it is. I also get to do things that people have never seen or done before. I also get a step away from reality for a little bit which is very nice and relaxing.”

Everybody has a different story—about who they are and where they come from, and you can learn more about your own story by traveling the world.  

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

GCHS College Search Experience

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

Summer Plans?

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

What I’ll Miss about High School

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

GCHS Inspirational Teachers

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

Working Warriors

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

Being A Grown-up

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

An ode to Granite

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

Happy Mother’s Day Mama

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

GCHS Crazy Food Combinations

• GCHS Travels The World

Student Life

What I’ll Miss at GCHS

GCHS Travels The World