The Rise of Battle Royale Games

David Hoffman, Staff Writer

Big companies are not one to shy away from what’s big on the market place. Whether it’s EA with their sports games or Bethesda milking Skyrim for every cent they can get (yes, I’m still bitter over that), companies go through trends just like us. Instead of Jays and Beats by Dre however, for gaming companies, it’s the genre of the game.

Battle royale games are challenging. With a team of 2, 3, 4, or even by myself, they are a fun challenge for me to try.”

— Cody Trittschuh

What do you get when you search the most popular games? You would most likely get triple A games, popular games made by big respected game companies, like Halo, Call of Duty, or Battlefield, but, if you look a little deeper, you can see the sharp rise in the battle royale scene. Whether it’s PlayerUnknown’s Battleground (PUBG) or Fortnite’s battle royale mode, you can see the rise in demand for these types of games. However, we have seen these types of games before the powerhouse of online gaming became relevant. The rise of battle royale games only seems to have increased since bigger companies have started making battle royale games to compete with them. “It depends on really how they’re made. Some that you can goof around in, such as Fortnite I believe will die quickly, but more serious games such as PUBG I feel will stay alive longer,” said fellow GCHS student Cody Trittschuh when asked about his thoughts on the recent popularity gain.

What if you have never played a battle royale game before? The base of the genre is pretty simple, you and other players are thrown in a slowly closing circle and are forced to kill each other to win. You must search for supplies to survive and if you don’t then you’re kicked out but you can easily join another game and try again. I encourage you to try a battle royale game because they can be extremely fun.

“Battle royale games are challenging. With a team of 2, 3, 4, or even by myself, they are a fun challenge for me to try,” stated Cody. They are relatively cheap and very addictive to a lot of people, including myself. It may be the same game mode every single time you play, but there are tons of ways to play if you throw creativity into the mix. Perhaps you go in solo stalking big groups of people taking them out one by one with the shadows being your friend or maybe you enter with a team of friends absolutely decimating everything that stands in your way. From being ultra tactical with military strategies to just running around in a bright yellow jumpsuit yelling that your name is banana man while you run over people with a vehicle, the possibilities are endless with these games.

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

Gabby’s High School Playlist

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

Tornado Alley: Safety Guide

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

The Office: Why you should watch it

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

Far Cry 5 Review

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

We Love Simon! Review.

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

The First Purge

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

J Cole “2014 Forest Hill Drive Album”

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

Monster Hunter: World Review

• The Rise of Battle Royale Games

Arts and Entertainment

The Authors Experience

The Rise of Battle Royale Games