Filed under Sports

Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Did you know that Granite City High School has a boys volleyball team? Well, we do, and the team is definitely excited about the upcoming season, which is right around the corner.

Pullquote Photo

The team chemistry is continuing to improve and the team is really good at lifting you up, even if we lose a game.”

— Kobey Ronk

Sometimes volleyball, especially boys volleyball, as I’ve noticed, gets buried beneath talk about other sports, since they’re more recognized activities and often more revered. Many other spring sports happen during the same time as boys volleyball. This makes it harder to be updated on the volleyball schedule consistently, but regardless the boys have been practicing and preparing for competition since December, and the team has a lot of experienced players and are developing chemistry. This year could be a year where the boys make some serious noise throughout the season. Head coach Justin Warren plans on making our Granite City Warriors boys volleyball team into a legitimate contender.

Kobey Ronk, Granite City High School senior and player on the boys volleyball team, said, “we’re feeling very excited about the upcoming season. [It] has been all that’s on my mind lately and both myself and the team have been preparing to play for quite some time. [We’re] more experienced than last season and the expectations are definitely higher because of it. The team chemistry is continuing to improve and the team is really good at lifting you up, even if we lose a game. After-school workouts are also motivating the players, both mentally and physically, and they help prepare us for whatever comes our way.”

Personally, I went to a couple of workouts and an open gym this week. I can say firsthand that every single player on the team puts their everything into becoming better and stronger. There were a series of exercises that tested the body, but they also tested the mind. Mental strength can be just as important, sometimes more so, than physical strength. Even the most basic physical exercises can test willpower, which can make or break an athlete both on and off the court.

A full-length season for any sport or extra-curricular activity can be exhausting and difficult to prepare for. All athletes have to be trained to endure the pressure of playing a full season of intense competition.

Every day competition comes closer, anticipation heightens, and the thought of playing the game, making a statement during the season, and possibly winning a tournament, a conference title, or a state title come into the forefront of conversation. The thought pounds its way into your head if you’re an athlete, or in the case of the fans and spectators, the image of seeing their favorite school or team succeed at doing something they all love and wholeheartedly work at. The team wants to award the loyal fans of Granite City with nothing less than one-hundred percent effort on the court. From the way I’ve seen the players act and talk about the season ahead of them, excitement and confidence are extremely high. Every year for any sports team is a chance to make a statement. This year’s GCHS boys volleyball team is definitely out to do just that.

There is so much promise for our Warriors boys volleyball team this season, and I don’t know about you, but personally, I cannot wait to see how the season plays out. I think that the fans will have a really exciting team to cheer for throughout the spring. I am also excited to say that I hope to make the team myself as I try out and learn more about the sport of volleyball. I hope to step onto the court and play out the upcoming season with this group of guys I look up to. Playing volleyball and working with the other team members has been a true joy so far, and making the team has been all that’s on my mind. Through every workout and every practice we continue to get stronger and better. All of the work, all of the practice, all of the blood, sweat, and tears that go into sports pays off in time, and hopefully for our boys volleyball team it will mean a lot of wins.

However, here at Granite City High School, whether we win or lose, we are still Warriors. Win or lose, we’ll keep on fighting just the same! We go out and compete with all the heart and fire we can muster and we never give up. Hopefully this season comes with many victories and many lessons learned. While the wild world of sports has no guarantees, I can say this with certainty: regardless of how the season plays out, everyone on the team will grow stronger as both a group and as individuals. Let’s go Warriors!

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

2017-18 NHL Playoffs

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Cardinal Nation: St. Louis and the Cardinals

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Zeke the Freak

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Behind the Scenes with Coach Reeves

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Bleeding Blue: The St. Louis Blues and Granite City

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Recent History of Granite Basketball

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Father-Son Bonding

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

Warriors on the Ice

• Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

Sports

1v1 with Latrell Smith

Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018