Healthy Start 2018!

Courtney Long, Staff Writer

It’s the beginning of the 2018 and as always the phrase “New Year, New Me,” is all you hear. The slogan comes back again and again and again. As soon as the ball drops on New Year’s Eve a lot of people try to find ways to alter themselves for the new year. This occurs every year. They want to get slimmer and be healthy fast. Diet tips and health blogs play a big factor in this new year’s process. Most of the time the information given is unhealthy or not up to code. Many of them are just plain dumb and don’t benefit you at all.

The number one diet tip that needs to stop immediately is long periods of fasting specifically for weight loss. This type of fasting is where you do not eat or drink for days at a time in hopes that the pounds will drop off. I can not express enough how dangerous this is for the body. This is dangerous for physical and mental health. Fasting deprives your body of nutrients and leads to eating disorders.  If you do choose to fast, do it safely. Intermittent fasting is the safest option. You fast for a couple of hours, usually 4 to 8, then you eat calorie rich foods in designated hours. You can eat normally and then choose to fast 1 to 2 times a week. Other diet fads are not as dangerous, but still idiotic nonetheless. In Japan citizens can buy special sunglasses that alter your vision so you’re not hungry anymore. The color blue is an unappetizing color, so the special glasses make everything look blue or have strong blue undertones. It makes me blue just thinking about it!

Not all diet fads are dangerous or idiotic. Diet and exercise goes a long way! Gerri Marion, a senior at GCHS, stated that her diet tips consist of water, water, water, and more water! “The most important thing is to stay hydrated. I try to drink at least 3 bottles of water a day.” Cold water can actually boost your metabolism and improve your overall health and mood. You don’t want to be a dehydrated noodle. Gerri also included that “I work out for about 30 minutes every other day. You don’t have to go crazy with the exercise. Take it slow and work at a pace that agrees with your body.”

Being healthy is great for your mind and body. Let’s talk about the mind for a bit. It’s 2018 and it’s time we cut toxic people out of our lives. You don’t need people who constantly bring you down and are negative impacts in your life. It’s time we realize our worth. We are human beings and we deserve to be treated as such. So don’t think about dropping pounds alone, drop people as well. Your mental health is just as important as your physical as health.

If you want to become healthy and fit, you should do it in a safe and positive way. Take your time with everything. And do it for you.  Your body is an instrument, not an ornament. So make music and be happy!

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

GCHS College Search Experience

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

Summer Plans?

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

What I’ll Miss about High School

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

GCHS Inspirational Teachers

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

Working Warriors

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

Being A Grown-up

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

An ode to Granite

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

Happy Mother’s Day Mama

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

GCHS Crazy Food Combinations

• Healthy Start 2018!

Student Life

What I’ll Miss at GCHS

Healthy Start 2018!