Warriors on the Ice

Sarah Schnefke, Staff Writer

The 2017-2018 Granite City Varsity Warrior Hockey team ended their strong season with the record of 13-8 and made it to the top bracket of the playoffs placing 4th in the league. In recent seasons the Warriors have only scratched a few wins in the victory column, but something changed this year. It’s not just a coincidence they played so well this year.

I think this year is different because we have a lot more players on the team. With all the players on the team being the same age and in the same high school we can bond a lot more and work together to win”

— Nathan Niles-Smith

The Warriors have not only showed their success through stats and records, but also in the chemistry they share on the ice.

“I think this year is different because we have a lot more players on the team. With all the players on the team being the same age and in the same high school we can bond a lot more and work together to win,” said Nathan Niles-Smith, a freshman on both the JV and Varsity team. A lot of his friends play on the team with him, and the way they all play together is inspiring to watch.

The Warriors are winners even though they don’t win every game. They tried their hardest and never gave up. No matter the odds of the game, the Warriors always set their minds to winning, even against other great teams. They are always doing whatever it takes to win and only take positive thoughts onto the ice. “After taking an L we are all just looking forward to the next game so we can bounce back and try to fix the mistakes we made in the game before,” said Pavol Hutchins, a junior at Granite City High School, who plays JV and Varsity on the hockey team.

Jacob Rodrick, a senior on the hockey team, said he’s been playing hockey for this team for 3 years. He says, “the younger players on the team are what make this year so different from the rest.”

The freshmen playing on varsity this year learned a lot from the mentoring of the older players. They are the future of our hockey program and look very promising. Although the Warrior Hockey team may be a “club” sport and are not funded by our high school, they are still very much a part of the Tribe community. Having the name Warrior is a reputation for our school. The hockey team puts up a great fight in representing our name and working hard for the future of the hockey program. So dress warm and come support your Warriors at their next game!

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

Father-Son Bonding

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

Jump into Boys Volleyball 2018

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

1v1 with Latrell Smith

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

What is Color Guard?

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

Ricky Hard Achieves Perfection

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

GHW Video: GCHS Dance Team

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

Warrior Basketball: What’s to Come

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

GCHS Girls Soccer Spring Preview

• Warriors on the Ice

Sports

The Big Breakfast Debate

• Warriors on the Ice

Arts and Entertainment

Imagine…

Warriors on the Ice