Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Back to Article
Back to Article

Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Freddy Edwards, Staff Writer

This upcoming baseball season is expected to be one of the best seasons that Granite City has had in a long time. The Warriors expect to perform better than last year’s 9-24 record. GCHS needs everyone to the baseball program and help return it to where it should be.

I expect us to compete with every team we play this year. We have almost all of our players returning from last year. I believe we gained valuable experience last year and now we are older.”

— Head Coach Scott Smallie

Baseball workouts have already started and baseball tryouts are Feb.26 at the baseball field across from Coolidge junior high school. Freshman Mason Roehr and Junior Austin Bonvicino are promising young players and there are many more talented players expected to have great seasons. The first baseball game is March 15th at Alton Marquette Catholic, and a lot of the players are excited to play because the atmosphere is fun and different than any other sport. Baseball is fun in practice and in games.

“I think it will be great because we have more chemistry and everyone knows each other better than last year,” said GCHS junior Austin Bonvicino. He’s not the only player that said he expects an exciting and fun year.

Hunter Needham said, “It’s kind of wild that I’ve spent four years at this school and its finally coming to an end, but on that note I’m excited to get going! My goal is to have a good solid team that people will enjoy coming to watch.”

Head coach Scott Smallie has been coaching for four years but this is his eighth year with the program. Smallie said, “I expect us to compete with every team we play this year. We have almost all of our players returning from last year. I believe we gained valuable experience last year and now we are older.”

The players on the team are ready for this season to start. They all hope this will be the best year yet. Each and every one of the baseball players are ready to play to their full potential and get this program back to the way it’s supposed to be.

“This is our last season in the conference so let’s go out with a BANG,” said Coach Smallie about the upcoming season. The first game will be March 15 @Alton Marquette. Be there or be square. LET’S GO WARRIORS!    

About the Writer
Freddy Edwards, Staff Writer

Freddy is the varsity Quarterback for Granite City High School. On his down time he likes to hang with friends and watch "The 70’s Show."

• Feature

Baseball Promo 2019

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Marching Warriors 2018

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Feature

Lady Warriors Volleyball

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

New and Improved: GCHS Dance Team

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

2017-18 NHL Playoffs

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Cardinal Nation: St. Louis and the Cardinals

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Zeke the Freak

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Behind the Scenes with Coach Reeves

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Bleeding Blue: The St. Louis Blues and Granite City

• Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

Sports

Recent History of Granite Basketball

Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon