Starting Artists

Jeremiah Day-Davis, Staff Writer

Whether it takes them about 30 minutes or and hour or even days, artists work very hard on their work. However, new artists who are just starting to post their pieces for the world to see, seem to work much harder than those who have been doing it for a while. Experienced artists have more experience, and typically, much more support. We need to offer our support to new artists, and there are many reasons why.

These new artists spend a long time on their work, and they working really hard on what they create. One teen, Jen Preston, said, “I usually spend a good three to four hours on the typical piece of art, but it kind of depends on how detailed I want to be. Random doodles take about 30 minutes but a painted-looking portrait can take up to five hours.”

Danielle VanVoorst said that doodles only take a max of ten minutes and real big projects take around one hour to three hours. Either way, it is certain that each artist takes a different amount of time on their pieces. Therefore, anytime you see an original piece pop up somewhere, whether it be Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, DeviantArt, or any type of social media platform, it’s always good to give it a like, a nice little comment on how well they did, or even share it with your friends so they can do the same.

Jen Preston said, “Positive feedback makes me feel great! I like knowing that people enjoy my art or connect with it in some way. If you see art you like, you should definitely let the artist know. They’ll appreciate it a lot.”

Danielle feels flattered, and it usually encourages her to continue to draw. Encouraging others to draw not only benefits them and how they feel about themselves, but also benefits others. Without artists who actually feel good about what they do, we wouldn’t have the animated shows or movies that inspired us when we were children. Do you think the creators of Hey Arnold! And any old school Disney movie ever were just automatically amazing at art with no support at all? I assure you that’s not the case. It takes years of practice and dedication with much support and encouragement. Those four things, alongside creativity, have helped make stories that not only inspire children, but even adults in some cases to do great things with their lives.

While no one I have interviewed said they want to create big shows or movies like the ones on Disney and Cartoon Network, Jen Preston did say she would like to make shorts for people to see. Another girl named Sam said, “I used to draw until I saw the field going down and when I was pushed to medical. But art therapy might be heavily pushed in for my own and my future patient’s needs.”

So please, if it’s not too much to ask of you, support starting artists. If it means those who have only been showing their art for a few years, or those who have only been doing it for a few months. It means a lot to them, and it could help create art that inspires those who could help create a better future. Bellow are the three people I interviewed along with their social media platforms and examples of their art if you would like to show your support.

Jen Preston: astr0n4ughtica on Instagram

Danielle VanVoorst: Pants.art on Instagram

Sam: Inkfilledsyringe on Tumblr

About the Writer
Jeremiah Day-Davis, Staff Writer
Jeremy is an artist and wannabe actor. He enjoys stuff such as music, dyeing his hair, cartoons, musicals, most anything that resembles the 80’s, plus many more different things.
  • Arts and Entertainment

Gum Chewers

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

Gabby’s High School Playlist

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

Tornado Alley: Safety Guide

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

The Office: Why you should watch it

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

Far Cry 5 Review

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

We Love Simon! Review.

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

The First Purge

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

J Cole “2014 Forest Hill Drive Album”

• Starting Artists

Arts and Entertainment

Monster Hunter: World Review

Starting Artists