Recent History of Granite Basketball

nick porch

Zidane Moore, Staff Writer

Recent History of Granite Basketball

The last 3 seasons of GCHS boys basketball has had its ups and downs. The 2015-2016 year had a successful team, having multiple players going on and playing in college. That year’s team was one game short of having a winning record being .500. Then 2016-17 year wasn’t so successful, only winning one game during the whole season, which was the senior night game. However, the 2017-18 season, which is still underway, is having a good year, bouncing back from the previous year winning nine games already.

The 2015-16 year the boys basketball team was one game short of having a winning record. The head coach at the time Steve Roustio said, “I️t really helped that the current coach, Coach Moore, helped worked with the main group of kids the last year I was coaching when they were younger playing on teams like Kenny Berry, Ron and Tray Allen, Jake and Jamie Roustio.” Coach Roustio went on to say, “Having those kids growing up playing basketball and working with each other helped them out.”

In 2016-17 Coach Karibian was only able to lead his team to one win, but he helped get the players ready for the upcoming years, “Having to pretty much start from scratch with a young team freshman wing Freddie Edwards and sophomore guard Zidane Moore, along with Nick Grote. I️ had seniors on the team but they didn’t have much varsity experience and the transfer of other players that moved.”

We have shocked the world being able to come back and make a name for Granite, beating teams we should beat, and beating teams that other teams and schools expected us to lose to but upset them.””

— Coach Gerard Moore

This year 2017-18 year the team has been doing well with the new head Coach Gerard Moore, who isn’t a new face to the GCHS program, previously being a freshman coach for Roustio six years ago. Moore comments on the season, “We have shocked the world being able to come back and make a name for Granite, beating teams we should beat, and beating teams that other teams and schools expected us to lose to but upset them.”

Moore, as a head Southwestern Conference coach, shocked many people beating the East St.louis flyers in there home gym for the first time in 17 years!. Moore’s season is not done, as the team has one conference game left against Belleville West Maroons, then on to regionals as they play Belleville East Lancers in the first round.

About the Writer
Zidane Moore, Staff Writer

Zidane is a star basketball player at GCHS. He also was the caption of the Jr. Olympics under 15 and under 16 team for Trinidad and Tobago, which helped...

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Marching Warriors 2018

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Feature

Lady Warriors Volleyball

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

New and Improved: GCHS Dance Team

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

2017-18 NHL Playoffs

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Cardinal Nation: St. Louis and the Cardinals

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Zeke the Freak

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Behind the Scenes with Coach Reeves

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Bleeding Blue: The St. Louis Blues and Granite City

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Warrior Baseball is Coming Soon

• Recent History of Granite Basketball

Sports

Father-Son Bonding

Recent History of Granite Basketball