How ALPHA is making a difference in your school

Alyssa Weller, Staff Writer

Whether you are a freshman now or you’re remembering the Friday’s in health class you spent with your peers, you’ve probably heard about the important student group ALPHA.

“I love meeting new people and being able to inspire them to become greater. To give into our peers is such a wonderful feeling and I am very grateful that the ALPHA program is with GCHS”

— Morgan Tucker

ALPHA is a role model program at GCHS where upperclassmen help our peers in a health class that are searching for direction on personal issues like dating, drug use, future plans, parent-teen relationships, etc. These issues always come up during high school and that’s what ALPHA is all about, being there to help our peers on a student to student level. Sometimes students can’t always ask their Mom and Dad or teachers certain questions.

During my freshman year I couldn’t wait for Fridays because I knew I’d have ALPHA, and as much as I loved Mr.Kirgan I couldn’t wait to have ALPHA to play games, get some stuff off my chest and get me totally hyped for the rest of the weekend. Playing drunken basketball with the goggles or answering questions on Kahoot kicked off my weekend in a great way. Nothing like getting some candy thrown at your face, right?

Lots of students in high school get their direction, attitude, beliefs and behavior from other students around them. Morgan Tucker, an ALPHA leader here at GCHS, has been in the program since she was a sophomore. I asked her how ALPHA has impacted her life personally and what she has been doing to impact our school through peers.

“I love meeting new people and being able to inspire them to become greater. To give into our peers is such a wonderful feeling and I am very grateful that the ALPHA program is with GCHS, and I appreciate every Friday we get to spend teaching our peers about the effects of drugs and alcohol, how to deal with situations they may or may not have issues with, and even just to have a great day with them!”

Being an inspiration and a positive influence on my peers is truly amazing. This semester has definitely been giving me the motivation to come to school and interact with my peers and learn more about what’s coming into my high school, learning about the students, and even taking knowledge from them that I’ll carry forever.