The first day of Kindergarten to the last day of 12th grade

Austin Gilmore, Staff Writer

If you can dream it, you can do it.”

— Walt Disney

The first day of kindergarten till the last day of 12th grade

From the 1st day of kindergarten, till the last day of high school, some of the best moments in your life will happen within those 13 years. A lot is different from kindergarten to high school.

In kindergarten, we had recess during lunch to go outside and play. Now we just have lunch. But one thing that we had in kindergarten and still do in high school (apart from going to school) is big events. In kindergarten, I remember movie night in the gym, school plays, and the school picnic at the end of the school year. In high school we have pep rallies, sports games, dances, and graduation.

In 4th grade, at Frohardt, I had a breakout year. I was chosen by Mrs. Greathouse for the “ You make a world of difference” award.  I was selected as basically teacher’s pet. I did not have a problem with it. It made me feel special and like I had earned something that I should feel proud of. Then in 5th grade, I would enter my final elementary school year. At the end of the year, we had a lock-in at the school. It was one of the best nights of my life. We had pizza, ice cream, soda, and we played games like guitar hero, and minute-to-win-it. There was even a karaoke machine. Yes I did sing a song. In the morning, we went outside to exercise and we had Krispy Kreme donuts for breakfast. That night was also the first time I stayed up all night. Since that night, I have no idea how many more times I’ve stayed up all night.

Over the next 3 years, I was chosen as teacher’s pet twice and tried out for the track team in 7th grade. I was not as fast as the others, but I tried my best. In 8th grade, I would go on my final field trip and we went to the City Museum in St. Louis. My last field trip was one of the best to remember. On to 9th grade, freshman year, my first welcome back rally, and first homecoming rally. It was all very exciting and awesome to be a part of. Those events reminded me of the school picnic at Frohardt.

I am now a senior, close to graduating. But due to an injury I sustained, I have missed a couple months of school. I have returned to school, ready to get back to work. I may be down, but I am not out. I am back to finish my senior year and I will graduate because nothing is going to stop me from walking across that stage to get my diploma.

There is a saying that was quoted by Walt Disney, “If you can dream it, you can do it”. What he is saying is that no matter what, anything is possible. From kindergarten to 12th grade, life has had a few surprises for me, and I can’t wait to see how the rest of my life plays out.