The First Purge

Austin Gilmore, Staff Writer

The First Purge

This is not a test.

This is your Emergency Broadcast System announcing the commencement of the first Annual Purge, sanctioned by the U.S. Government.

Weapons of Class 4 and lower have been authorized for use during the Purge.

All other weapons are restricted.

Government officials of Rank 10 have been granted immunity from the Purge and shall not be harmed.

Commencing at the siren, any and all crime, including murder, will be legal for 12 continuous hours.

Police, fire, and emergency medical services will be unavailable until tomorrow morning at 7 a.m. when the Purge concludes.

Blessed be our New Founding Fathers and America, a nation reborn.

May God be with you all.

The fourth Purge movie is set to be released on the fourth of July, Independence Day. We all are pretty excited to see how this one will do in theaters compared to the last three. The purge movies that we all have seen are known for being action horror films. They show what could possibly happen should the purge ever become a real thing. The last three have been all about learning what the purge is, seeing how much it changes the country in only a twelve hour difference, and how far some will go to end it or keep it alive. But what we never found out is how the purge originated.

Well, we will find out this year in “The First Purge”. Since the new movie won’t be in theaters till the fourth of July, we can only look at what the scripts and the descriptions for the new film say.  The description for the new film said that the New Founding Fathers of America association (NFFA), wanted to try and bring annual crime rate down by 1% for the rest of the year. They test a sociological theory that shows lots of aggression for one night in an isolated community. But obviously, whenever you introduce something new in any movie, something is gonna go wrong. The isolated community that was supposed to be the specific spot in the purge gets really aggressive and the purge spreads all over the United States like a virus.

An interesting point about this movie is that most of the cast is African-American, therefore, could we see some racial preferences or even politics of that matter in this film? Will we see how certain act towards different people of different cultures and beliefs? We all know how serious the purge is and how deadly it can get. These are things we have to look at going into basically the origin movie of the purge.

The purge is inducted into the Constitution as the 28th amendment. Therefore, setting motion for the three previous movies in the franchise. The first Purge movie from 2013 showed how a single family had to fend off against their neighbors and enemies on a night of tragedy and horror. The second one from 2014 shows what happens in downtown cities on purge night, how complete strangers work together to survive the night, and how far someone will go on purge night to get revenge for their family.

Finally, in the third film, from 2016, it shows a change in the purge rules as a presidential election could determine the end or the continuation of the purge. In order to try to keep the purge alive, the rules change so no government officials have immunity from the purge. But this also affects the NFFA board members since they are government officials. Now they have to protect themselves as well. The third film even shows people from different countries coming to America to purge. In the film, it was called purge propaganda.

We don’t know what to expect out of the new purge film, we can only wait and re-watch trailers and leaked images to learn more about it. But just how long can everyone survive on the night where every crime, including murder, is legal for twelve hours? How long do you think you could survive?

Good Luck on Purge night, you’re gonna need it.

About the Writer
Austin Gilmore, Staff Writer

You can find Austin running through the halls here at GCHS. He is a very punctual person that has an untarnished record of being on time to school. He...

• Arts and Entertainment

Rumpelstiltskin Trailer

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

Slice of the Week Pizza Review

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

Mean Girls

• Arts and Entertainment

How Are Vinyl Records Made?

• Arts and Entertainment

Silent Film- A Twentieth Century Pastime

• Arts and Entertainment

Gum Chewers

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

Gabby’s High School Playlist

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

Tornado Alley: Safety Guide

• The First Purge

Arts and Entertainment

The Office: Why you should watch it

The First Purge