Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Courtney Long, Staff Writer

Mother’s Day is quickly approaching and for many it is a wonderful time to celebrate mothers all around the globe. For others this season can be difficult. I wanted to write something different this week. I wanted to write a letter to my mom and explain what Mother’s Day is like without her.

Dear Mom,

Mother’s Day was always special growing up because I had the best mom. The celebration would take up a whole weekend and be filled with flowers, gifts, and lots of hugs. It was truly a joyful time. Looking back, I realized that I took that for granted.

You passed away in March. The first Mother’s Day without you was the literal worst. I didn’t want to get out of bed. How was I supposed to be happy and celebrate you, if you weren’t  here? I froze and refused to talk to anyone for a good portion of the day. I just couldn’t come to terms with it. You weren’t here, on a day that was especially for you. I would scroll on social media and see all my friends writing paragraphs and buying gifts for their moms. My heart sank with guilt. I felt like I was being selfish in not celebrating you. My heart still sinks when I think about it. I’m sorry. I am so sorry Momma. I wasn’t angry with you. I was angry at the universe. I should have bought you flowers or held your hand when I had the chance.  

This year’s Mother’s Day I feel will be very difficult. Senior year is a major stepping stone. All I wanted in life was for you to see me in a prom dress, and help me become the princess you say I am.  I wanted you to see me walk the stage. I made it mom. I am SO close to finishing high school. I know you won’t physically be here, but I know that you will be right by my side in spirit, every step of the way.

I’m so fortunate to have a huge support system filled with friends and family. They say I get more like you every day. And that is the best compliment I could ever receive. You inspire me every day. Not a day goes by that I don’t wake up and immediately miss your voice. You are the best mom in the world, and I hope you have a fantastic Mother’s Day. I’ll be celebrating you from down here. Thank you Momma. For everything

Love forever and always,

Your Ladybug.

If you have a mother on Mother’s Day, hug her tight, give her praise. She is your number one. She is your best friend. Love her with all of your being as she does to you. Don’t take her for granted.

About the Writer
Courtney Long, Staff writer
Meet Courtney Long! Reading is her passion. She’s very outgoing and energetic. Courtney is obsessed with Harry Potter and all things magical. Coffee is her only vice and her eyeliner is known to be as sharp as her witts.
  • Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

Warrior Head Scavenger Hunt

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Feature

If You’re New Here…

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

GCHS College Search Experience

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

Summer Plans?

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

What I’ll Miss about High School

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

GCHS Inspirational Teachers

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

Working Warriors

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

Being A Grown-up

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

An ode to Granite

• Happy Mother’s Day Mama

Student Life

GCHS Crazy Food Combinations

Happy Mother’s Day Mama