If You’re New Here…

Sophie Burns, Staff Writer

A field of green, lots of screams. The Freshmen class came out for a great start to the school year, with their first ever Welcome Back Rally.

On Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, The annual Granite City Welcome Back Rally was introduced to the Freshmen class.

As color filled the halls with Senior yellow, Junior orange, Sophomore blue, and Freshmen green, many grew excited. Freshmen Ashley Mains observed “Wow, that’s a lot of color.” 

Wow, that’s a lot of color.”

— Ashley Mains

This years group of Freshmen really seemed to embrace rally day, with many dressed in tutu’s, hats, leggings and face paint, All to show their spirit.

Though many Freshmen were excited, others were nervous of not knowing what could happen. As we all know being a Freshman isn’t easy and comes with a bit of torment. Tagging lowerclassmen is a tradition, that the school tried to put a stop to this year. That allows the Freshmen to breathe easier in the halls.

Freshman Jonas Etchison says, “Kindness, I want to see everyone being nice to each other.” 

Kindness, I want to see everyone being nice to each other.”

— Jonas Etchison

You can show your kindness by helping a teacher or friend, saying hello in passing, holding a door for someone, or even by just keeping a smile on your face. This happens when “Warriors Assemble!”

Sophomore year, the Freshmen’s point of view on the rally could change. The excitement could grow or diminish. Maybe you won’t even remember it at all. Sophomore Mikenna Roeder says, “What even is the Welcome Back Rally?” The more active you are, the more fun you will have.

The Welcome Back Rally was created in part to bring excitement and thrill to the Freshmen as they enter a new beginning in high school. This is a milestone in many lives, a building point.  

Here’s to many more Welcome Back Rallys, Freshmen. Senior year will be here before you know it.

About the Writer
Sophie Burns, Staff Writer

Sophie Burns is a junior at GCHS and a current staff writer for Granite High World. Sophie is known for being a Color Guard member for the award winning Granite City Marching Warriors Band. She plays the bass guitar and is on the worship team at Uncommon Student Ministries in Bethalto, IL. Sophie has traveled to Decatur the past two years and won a superior rating both years for her fine arts vocal solo, and vocal ensemble small. She hopes to keep it up the next few years. You can almost always find Sophie in the band rooms or band hall when at school. She loves Journalism and is excited to see what will come on her writing journey this year.

• Feature

Athletes Trading Places

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

GCHS Veterans Day Tribute 2018

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Band: Sport or Activity?

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Welcome Back Rally

• Feature

A Day in the Life of a Skeleton

• Feature

GCHS KeKe Challenge

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Granite City High School Color Guard

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Working Warriors

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Wrestling in the City

• If You’re New Here…

Feature

Fortnite Dance Challenge

If You’re New Here…