Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Dominic Cicio, Staff Writer

Jiu Jitsu, or any martial art, is a good life experience and skill to have. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches you four skills: self-defense, setting goals, social interaction, and teamwork.

Jiu Jitsu first teaches self-defense because fighters are constantly battling one another, and that’s how skills are perfected. This is a very good skill to know because you never know when you might be in a tough situation.

With self-defense, an inexperienced person might see a fight break out, try to stop it, and end up hitting the person. However, with jiu jitsu you can detain someone without hurting him.

If you or your friends are going out at night and someone tries to mug you, you can defend yourself. Self-defense is one of the most important skills I have learned since I started practicing Jiu Jitsu.

It is important to set goals for yourself throughout your life. If a person has no goals, then he will start to believe he has no purpose and won’t go anywhere.

Most people want to see themself at the highest rank, a black belt. However, wishing for a black belt won’t make it happen. It takes years of training, discipline, and dedication to earn a black belt. Setting several, small goals along the way is successful and fulfilling.

Starting Jiu Jitsu is simple, but sticking with it is the hardest part. It takes time and patience to earn your first mark, a stripe. It took me about six months. I started to lose confidence until I earned that stripe, and in a couple more months I’ll have my second stripe.

Along the journey of grappling and wrestling, you meet so many different individuals, whether you go to tournaments or just meet new people who come in your gym. It makes you a better fighter and friend.

Meeting new and different people builds your social skills and confidence. I was really shy when I first went to the gym. Once I started going more regularly,  my confidence and speaking skills improved.

Teenagers are more likely to be very socially awkward due to their phones and lack of human interaction. According to “The Guardian,” teens need more social skills instead of social networks.

Martial arts teaches the importance of working with new people and incorporating teamwork. If you are in a competition and are about to lose, your teammates or coach will tell you what moves to use to win.

Also, if you are working with a new guy at the gym and you see he’s constantly losing, teach him the skills to be better fighter, friend; but most importantly, have a positive life.

You don’t have to be skilled to start learning the fine art of Jiu Jitsu.  You just have to be motivated to give it your best.

• Feature

College Commits

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Clubs

GCHS Speech and Debate Team

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Clubs

GCHS Hobby Club

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Feature

A Night to Remember: GCHS Senior Night

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Feature

Granite City High School Color Guard

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Feature

Working Warriors

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Student Life

Warrior Head Scavenger Hunt

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Feature

If You’re New Here…

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Student Life

GCHS College Search Experience

• Jiu Jitsu: What is it?

Student Life

Summer Plans?

Jiu Jitsu: What is it?