GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Back to Article
Back to Article

GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Randi Ulrich, Staff Writer

On Dec. 5,13, and 14, 2018, at 7 p.m. at GCHS, bands from all over Granite City will come to play at the most wonderful concert of the year.

To get into  the Christmas spirit, the performers, parents, friends, and music lovers attend this fun winter tradition hosted by GCHS.

The concert has been growing more each year. This year, the directors decided to have two different concerts.

Assistant Band Director Josh Palmer says, “We have grown too much and this way we can add Grigsby’s Intermediate Band back to the concert.”

The first night is Grigsby’s Intermediate-beginning Band, Coolidge Junior High School’s (CJHS) 7th and 8th grade’s Concert Band, and the GCHS Concert Band. The second night is CJHS Wind Ensemble and GCHS’s Wind Ensemble. The final night is the all district jazz concert.

For most people, it’s their favorite concert of the year. Senior clarinet player Sydney Glasgow said, “I’ve been in the program for eight years and it’s my favorite. I love the Christmas music we play, and [I get] to see all my younger family playing along with me.”

Band parent, Kari Ulrich says, “It makes me think back to when my daughter started and how she’s grown with the band and has made it from being the youngest there, to the oldest.”

If you go through the band program in Granite City, you will do this concert every year. Glasgow has performed in the concert all seven years she has been in the program.

This year will be her 8th and final year. Glasgow says, “I will miss performing, but I will for sure be coming back to be a part of the audience and watch my younger friends and family.”

Granite City bands are known to put on a good show for their audience.

“They’re going to do fantastic. We have a tradition of doing good and feeding off the audience,” says Palmer.

The winter concert is the most festive of all the concerts put on by the district’s bands.

GCHS has always had the tradition of playing “Sleigh Ride”, CJHS started a new tradition in 2017 of performing “Krampus,” with a special guest performance from Grigsby’s Principal Don Stratton.

This year’s concert features Christmas music such as “A Nightmare Before Christmas,” and many more Christmas fanfares.

Admission for the concert is $3 for adults, and $2 for children and district staff. District staff must have ID to receive discount and can receive one free ticket.

Everyone is encouraged at bring a non-perishable food item to be donated to the local Salvation Army food pantry. Come out for a good show and to support our city’s bands.

About the Writer
Randi Ulrich, Staff

Randi Ulrich is a Junior at GCHS. Randi works at Culvers in Collinsville as a cashier. She’s a 50/50 seller at the Tri-City racetrack in Granite City,...

• Feature

Christmas Expectations VS Reality

• Feature

Road to State: GCHS Cheerleaders

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

The Gallop (The Reign Of Finkes)

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

CEO Savor the Season Commercial Video

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

Student Taken Into Custody After Social Media Threat

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Clubs

GCHS Hobby Club

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

Lady Warriors Volleyball

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

A Night to Remember: GCHS Senior Night

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Clubs

What Does Student Council Really Do?

• GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert

Feature

American Horror Story: GHW Review

GCHS Band: A Christmas Concert