Does Homework Boost Achievement?

Stacie Johnson, Staff Writer

Everyday students spend hours doing more and more homework. With all the assigned homework, do you ever stop to think do we really need to do this?

According to a recently published book The Homework Myth: Why Our Kids Get To Much of A Bad Thing by Alfie Kohn, “…no study has ever demonstrated any academic benefit to assigning homework before children are in high school.”

Not everyone has time for homework, and some simply choose not to do it.”

— Stacie Johnson

There are benefits to doing homework at any age. By doing homework you are learning  responsibility, time management, how to prepare for big tests and quizzes, and are also building relationships. Along with positives, there are always negatives. Homework can cause problems such as stress and encourage cheating.

When you get home from school you have to be responsible and do the homework you are given. You must learn how to watch the clock so you have enough time to finish all of your assignments. That is time management. Everyone gets stuck or second guesses their work and has to ask for help occasionally. By asking for help from an adult, parent, friend, or teacher you are building a relationship a little at a time. You can learn from your mistakes and it gives families a chance to see what their child is learning in school when they aren’t around.

Some people enjoy homework. There is always that group of kids who can’t stand homework and never do it. There are also many disadvantages to homework. Homework can get in the way of other activities outside of school, leading you to push it off until later. Pushing it off can cause stress because you know you don’t have as much time to work on it. Sometimes you don’t only have one class that assigns homework. You could have two, three, or even all classes that assign homework. With all of that homework it can be difficult to finish it all. No one wants to spend the rest of their day out of school doing homework. For those who don’t do it and push it off, that could lead to copying off of other classmate’s homework just to get a completion grade.

When you ask for help and try to explain to your parents what you are doing, it can cause conflict. For example, a parent might teach you a different method than the teacher, which continues to create confusion, frustration, and exhaustion. This could make you want to quit working on the homework and just copy a classmate’s when you get to school the next day.

According to the webpage Edutopia: 8 Myths That Undermine Educational Effectiveness, it states, “Myth #2: Homework Boosts Achievement: There is no evidence that says this is true. In Finland, students have higher achievement with little or no homework and shorter school hours. The more important factor is what students experience during the school day. Project-based learning, as one example, places the emphasis on what is done during the day. If students choose to do more outside of school, that is their choice. There also may sometimes be other good reasons to assign homework, but there should be no illusion that homework will help increase student achievement.”

Homework is experienced differently by every student. Homework does give extra help, but does that mean everyone needs extra help? Homework is given so you can work on what you were taught in class, and hopefully it helps you achieve better grades. Not everyone has time for homework, and some simply choose not to do it. How does homework effect you?