Knowledge Really Is Power

Mekayla Thomas, Staff Writer

Kindergarten. Elementary School. Middle School. High school. College. We all have to go through these to get to where we want to be. Whether we want to be a teacher, a doctor, a surgeon, a business owner, or even an astronaut, we all have to have the proper schooling. Trust me, being a junior in high school, I can tell you it really isn’t as long as it seems. All you have to do is take it one step at a time (Just like the Jordin Sparks song).

I am a junior in high school. I’m going to be a senior next year and after that is college. Looking back on all the time I spent wishing time would go faster, it’s ironic how now all I do is wish for more time. For everyone in high school I’m sure that each turn around the corner you are faced with the prospect of what you are going to do with your life. Truthfully, it isn’t just students in high school; it’s every grade.

Looking back on all the time I spent wishing time would go faster, it’s ironic how now all I do is wish for more time.”

— Mekalya Thomas

For everyone it is different, for me, I always wanted things that were impossible. Whether it be to become a mermaid and discover Atlantis or fall down a centuries old well and come out the other side in feudal era Japan (Anime peeps, I hope you understood). But that just goes to show you how unique we all are, or how differential we are to one another. Some children may be more practical in their dreams and want to become a police officer, or a firefighter. Other children may be like me and want to become a superhero, or a super villain (you never know).

What I am trying to say is that school is necessary. No matter how much we complain and hate it, we need it. The child that wanted to grow up to be a firefighter would need the basics of chemistry. The child that wanted to grow up to be a superhero would probably need to study psychology and human behavior. The child that wanted to be a villain would probably need knowledge of the current standing laws and punishments. School may not be fun and it may suck but we need it to be who we will become.

School is the beginning of lives. We begin when we are but children and we discontinue when we are an adult. School is like a parent in that aspect, it will be there with wisdom and it will nurture us into the adult we choose to be. Not everyone has the privilege of having it, not everyone is appreciative of it, and not everyone enjoys how it rules, but it is always there. And it helped the child that wanted to become a firefighter save people in need. It also taught the child that wanted to be a superhero that they didn’t need a cape and a suit to help others. And as for the child that wanted to be a villain, well…there will always be an officer, a lawyer, and a judge waiting.