Army Strong

Army+Strong

© GoFundMe

Nick Porch, Staff Writer

On October 1st, 2015, a school shooting took place at Umpqua Community College near Roseburg, Oregon. A student, Christopher Harper-Mecer, fatally shot and killed nine people and injured seven others. After a shootout with the police, Mecer committed suicide. During the attack, a heroic act occurred, and a veteran of the United States Army saved many student’s lives.

Chris Mintz went to class like any other day, and Chris was excited to get done with class so he could celebrate his son’s 6th birthday with him. Mecer entered the college classroom asking people that practiced Christianity only to leave. Mecer then left the room, only to come back and open fire on the students. Army Veteran Chris Mintz instantly rushed the gunman, in attempt to take him out. Blocking the door with his body, Chris was shot three times. Chris hit the floor and then told the gunman that his son’s birthday was today. He was then shot four more times by Mecer.

Surviving the attack, Mintz was immediately rushed to surgery and spent the next two days in critical condition. Luckily, no vital organs were hit and he should be okay. Mintz’s family said “Chris will have to learn how to walk again, but will walk away with his life.” The Mintz family also said they were not surprised when they heard what Chris did. Once a soldier, always a soldier.

Even though Mintz is not an active duty soldier anymore, he did not forget what he was taught.”

— Nick Porch

The Army Values are embedded in each individual soldier, active duty or veteran. Soldiers live their lives by the seven Army Values. The seven Army Values are Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. All of these values were found in acts of Chris Mintz. Thank you, Chris Mintz.