OSU Homecoming Tragedy

David Bitton/The News Press/AP

Bystanders help the injured after a vehicle crashed into a crowd of spectators during the Oklahoma State University homecoming parade, causing multiple injuries, on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2015 in Stillwater, Oka. (David Bitton/The News Press via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT

Brian Ames, Editor

During OSU’s homecoming game, an ominous announcement rang through the stadium. “Students, please call your parents.”

At this year’s homecoming parade, a car was driven into a large crowd of people killing 4 and injuring at least 40. Some were left with cuts and bruises, while some are still being held in critical condition. The community is praising the medical teams and surgeons for their dealing of the situation.  

Unfortunately, the accident claimed the lives of four people. These four include 2 year-old Nash Lucas who died at the hospital, 23 year-old Nikita Prabhakar, an international student from Mumbai, India who was studying to become a financial analyst, and Bonnie and Marvin Stone were also killed in Saturday’s accident. Marvin was a former professor and both are from Stillwater.

The driver, 25 year-old Adacia Chambers, is currently being held on four accounts of second degree murder and her bail was set at $1 million. First hand accounts believe she was under the influence. However, she has told police she was suicidal. The toxicology report has not been released. Her parents have stated she was checked into a mental health treatment a few years ago but nothing led them to believe something was wrong. Her boyfriend, Jesse Gaylord, claimed she was a very cautious driver and hadn’t taken any drugs, and the last time she drank alcohol was a few weeks ago for his birthday.  

We await further details on the toxicology report and on any extra details to be released by the police.  Our thoughts and our prayers are with the families of the victims.