A Day They Will Never Forget

Lauren Edwards, Staff Writer

Have you ever taken the time to look around and be thankful for all that you have? When is the last time you’ve told your friends and family how much they mean to you? In the blink of an eye, everything could be taken away from you. That’s just what happened to thousands of people on Monday afternoon of October 26. An earthquake with a magnitude of 7.5 hit South Asia, leaving hundreds dead, and thousands homeless.

The region is no stranger to earthquakes. Afghanistan, Nepal, Pakistan, and India are all located at the intersection of two tectonic plates. Despite the history of quakes, many people were unprepared for this disaster.

Noor Wali was sitting inside of his shoe shop in northwestern Pakistan when he heard a loud roaring sound and saw cracks in the walls. He made it out seconds before the building collapsed. “I avoided death by inches,” he said.

The epicenter of the quake was in northwestern Afghanistan. However, the majority of the deaths have been reported across the border in Pakistan. This is because Pakistan is more populated. Twelve students died in a stampede while trying to evacuate the school during the earthquake.

Buildings broke down during the shaking, leaving people injured or dead. “I was looking at a towering building, fearing it would come crashing down on me at anytime,” said Muhammad Ali, a vendor in a busy shopping area of Peshawar, “the building was swinging from one side to the other.”

As terrible as it all sounds, the situation could have been far worse. The earthquake was felt over a large distance, but the intensity was lessened because it originated nearly 130 miles under the Hindu Kush Mountains. Since it happened so deep in the earth, the shaking was less intense. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake that struck Nepal earlier this year was only located 5 miles below the surface. In this case, the shaking was so intense it killed over 8,000 people. Many people are still trying to rebuild their lives.

This earthquake is one that many will never forget. Thousands have become homeless or received the awful news that the quake has taken a loved one. Within minutes, this quake changed their lives forever. Natural disasters can happen at any time, so be thankful for what you have.