Lighting the Lamp into the Future

Allie Ryan, Editor

For the last few years, the Warriors hockey team has struggled to move forward towards a winning season. Despite their hard work and effort, they seem to face better competition against teams who have far more experience than most of our players. Granite City isn’t necessarily known for it’s hockey, but in the next few years, you may be hearing otherwise.

Granite City isn’t necessarily known for it’s hockey, but in the next few years, you may be hearing otherwise. ”

Riley Brown, a junior defender for the Warriors has outstanding stats this season and carries the team with 32 goals & 16 assists (Varsity and JV combined). Brown is also a member of the Chesterfield Falcons club hockey team. “I think the team will definitely be a little better next year, that is if some of the 8th graders decide to play Varsity next year. I just wanna have fun my senior year, it should be a pretty good year.”

Jacob Cochran, junior forward with 8 goals & 5 assists, has high standards for next year. “I feel like we are going to be better than this year. We have a lot of skill coming up and a lot of people. I feel more confident. I’m excited for my senior year of hockey because we should have a fast and good team.”

Sam Wielgus is among many of the incoming freshman next year. He currently plays for the JV Warriors hockey team as an 8th grader and is also a member of Twin Bridges Lightning Hockey Club. Sam is just one player of the underclassmen with many years of club hockey experience and talent that the Warriors need.

In the next two years, we’ll be seeing almost an entire team full of young, talented, and experienced players, and that’s definitely something to look forward to with this program. The Warriors have 3 games left this season looking to expand their season total to 5 wins.