A Battle Between Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Battle Between Sports

Kourtney Cicio, Editor

High school sports lead to many opportunities including college scholarships or being crowned state champions. However, club sports sometimes offer more opportunities than high school sports. Many athletes choose to play club sports because of the opportunity to travel to different countries while playing the sport they love.

Zack Becker, a former GCHS student, moved to Spain prior to senior year in order to pursue his passion for soccer. “I am going to be playing in Spain, Holland, Germany, and Belgium coming up in March. And I just found out I will be going to China in May to play alongside FC Barcelona’s U18 team and many other clubs,” said Becker.

I am going to be playing in Spain, Holland, Germany, and Belgium coming up in March. And I just found out I will be going to China in May to play alongside FC Barcelona’s U18 team and many other clubs.”

— Zack Becker

Junior Reed Hawkins said, “club sports give you overseas experiences, college perks, and they teach you how to be self reliant.” Recently, Hawkins committed to St. Louis University to continue his soccer career. Many athletes enjoy playing club sports because they offer far better opportunities than high school sports.

Senior Allie Ryan traveled to Sweden to partake in an international soccer tournament with KC Milan. “Playing soccer in Sweden was life changing. It has made me appreciate all the training and coaches I’ve had over the years with playing for Saint Louis Scott Gallagher,” said Ryan.

Sophomore Morgan Tanksley plays select softball for the Black Widows. Tanksley says she enjoys select softball because she gets to meet new people and she has the opportunity to travel to new places.

However, some athletes prefer high school sports over club sports. GCHS cheerleader, Claire Ames, says “high school cheer enables me to be involved in many aspects of school. I get to go to all of the games and a lot of school functions. I like that I get to be in the middle of intense games like the Collinsville basketball game.”

High school sports differ from club sports in many aspects. Club sports offer great travel and college opportunities as well as the ability to meet new people. High school sports are very social and fan-oriented, which you never get playing club sports. However, club sports allow you to further your athletic career.