What is Wrong With the World?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What is Wrong With the World?

Mackenzie Schardan, Staff Writer

Oppression, violence, discrimination, addiction. These are just a few of the many things that are wrong with this world. Many are quick to say what is wrong with the world today, yet few actually take action and try to fix it. Even if you just start with yourself, at least you are starting somewhere. You could start small by being honest. Or, you could do something bigger, and the next time you go through a drive thru, pick up a cheeseburger for the homeless guy around the corner. You might not be able to stop terrorism, but there is plenty you can do to help change the world.

Poverty is everywhere. There are many things that we can do to help people that are living in poverty, but most of us don’t know where to start. A company called World Help is a non-profit Christian organization committed to serving others in impoverished communities everywhere. How can you get in on this? Well, it’s easier than you think. On the website, you can donate anywhere from $5 to $400 and this money goes directly to feeding children, giving them clean water, and even refugee and earthquake relief. You can even sponsor a child, start a campaign, or start a giving plan.

Racism causes riots, disrespect, and separation. We can’t change how people think, but we can change how we treat others. “It’s like a box of crayons. You use the whole box to make a beautiful picture. Just as if people were those crayons, you don’t just not use a color because it can help you make a beautiful picture…If I could fix (racism) I would make everyone pink,” Dana Endicott, a freshman at GCHS, said.

Some people believe that everything wrong with the world comes from people. People commit crimes, and their carelessness causes danger to society. Matthew Wylie, a GCHS senior, says that if he were to try and fix humanity, he would start by enforcing the laws better. “By doing so, you could possibly scare those who don’t want to get into trouble into becoming better people,” Wylie said.

Mr. Garland, a teacher at GCHS says that he couldn’t agree more with Ben Carson when he said, “Political correctness is antithetical to our founding principles of freedoms of speech and  expression. It’s most powerful tool is intimidation.” Mr. Garland says that we have lost common sense in this country because we focus too much on saying the right thing.

This also brings up another issue, social acceptance. People are so caught up in trying to be perfect, or acceptable to someone else, that we often lose sight of who we are. We need to look inside of ourselves and figure out what we like to do.

I think all of these things are so tightly knotted that you can’t address one without addressing the others at the same time. Addressing one reveals problems with the others.”

— Meredith Tabscott

Not just one person can fix the world. A single person only has so much power. There are so many things wrong with the world that it is hard to pinpoint just one as the main problem. “I think all of these things are so tightly knotted that you can’t address one without addressing the others at the same time. Addressing one reveals problems with the others,” said Meredith Tabscott, an English teacher at GCHS. However, we can be better ourselves. We can accomplish certain things by making this world the best we can by being good citizens, caring for each other, and standing up for what we believe in. You don’t have to be Martin Luther King, Jr. or Abraham Lincoln to make a change in this world. Just look around you! There are many problems in this world that need to be fixed. It doesn’t have to be anything too big, all you need is a little bit of ambition.